No. 26 Sun Devils Keep Winning Streak Going; Defeat No. 38 Cal
March 7, 2008
TEMPE, Ariz. - The No. 26 Sun Devils kept their winning streak going as they won their Pac-10 opener against No. 38 California 4-3. The Sun Devils are now 8-0 and 1-0 in Pac-10.
The Sun Devils earned their first point by sweeping the doubles matches. The No. 31 ranked team of T.J. Bellama and Matt Brooklyn breezed by Geoff Chizever and Pedro Zerbini with an 8-5 victory. Andres Arango and Harry Skinner improved their record to 3-0 with an 8-6 win over Eoin Heavey and Kallim Stewert of Cal. Wes Miller and John Nanosky II won a hard-fought 9-7 match over Jonathan Dahan and Bozhidar Katsarov.
The Sun Devils won three of their singles matches to take home the team victory. No. 49 ranked Andres Arango blew past Heavey in the No. 2 spot, winning in two sets 6-0, 6-3. Juan Carlos Rebaza split his first two sets but came back to win a hard-fought third set and seal the match 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (4) in the No. 3 slot. Skinner, playing in the No. 4 position, won a tough first set 7-6 (5) and easily took the second set 6-3.
Brooklyn dropped his first dual match of the year as he dropped a hard-fought 6-3, 7-6 (6) match in the No. 1 spot. Miller and Bellama both fell in their matches as well.
The Sun Devils take on No. 32 Stanford tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
1. T.J. Bellama/Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. Geoff Chizever/Pedro Zerbini (Cal) 8-5
2. Andres Arango/Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Eoin Heavey/Kallim Stewert (Cal) 8-6
3. Wes Miller/John Nanosky II (ASU) def. Jonathan Dahan/Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) 9-7
1. Kallim Stewert (Cal) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 6-3, 7-6 (6)
2. Andres Arango (ASU) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) 6-0, 6-3
3. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (4)
4. Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Pedro Zerbini (Cal) 7-6 (5), 6-3
5. Jonathan Dahan (Cal) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) def. T.J. Bellama (ASU) 6-3, 6-1