Huskies Stopped By No. 9 Bruins
March 8, 2008
LOS ANGELES - The 34th-ranked Washington women's tennis team came away empty-handed against ninth-ranked UCLA today, despite a pair of excellent efforts from Venise Chan and Joyce Ardies. The Huskies drop to 9-5 overall and 0-4 in Pac-10 play, but all four losses have come to teams currently ranked in the Top-10.
Chan, a freshman ranked 41st and proving she deserves it, was just three games away from adding another stellar victory to her already impressive list, leading No. 7 Riza Zalameda, 3-0 in the third set. But UCLA's senior All-American rallied to win six of the final seven games and escape with a 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 victory that ended the match.
Ardies, a sophomore, captured the first set from 46th-ranked Yasmin Schnack in a tiebreaker, but Schnack rebounded for a 6-3 second set win. The two played a third-set super-tiebreak, and Schnack rolled, 10-2.
The Bruins, NCAA Runner-Up in 2007 and with every starter returning, have five singles players ranked in the Top-60 and are a definite contender for the NCAA title. Their depth was in evidence as UCLA posted straight set wins in the other four singles matches, with 98th-ranked senior putting up the toughest fight at No. 3 singles where she fell, 6-4, 6-2 to 36th-ranked Andrea Remynse.
Freshman Kelsey Anonsen had a solid first set but lost, 6-3, 6-0 to 56th-ranked senior Elizabeth Lumpkin in the No. 6 position. Lumpkin was Pac-10 Player of the Week last week and as strong a No. 6 player as there is in the nation.
One of Washington's best performances came in doubles, where Ardies and Simpson pushed the nation's 15th-ranked tandem of Zalameda and Tracy Lin to a 7-7 tie, but the Bruins captured the final two games to clinch the doubles point.
Up next, Washington will tackle 36th-ranked Washington State in the first of UW's final three home matches. The Huskies and Cougars non-conference dual is slated for Friday, March 14 at 1:30 p.m. in Seattle.
Washington Women's Tennis
3/8/08 - Los Angeles, Calif.
Los Angeles Tennis Center
No. 9 UCLA 7, No. 34 Washington 0
1. (15) Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) def. Ardies/Simpson (UW), 9-7
2. (51) Lumpkin/ Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Anonsen/Chan (UW), 8-4
3. Joelson/ Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) def. Malovic/Radunovic (UW), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (7) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) def. (41) Venise Chan (UW), 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
2. (58) Tracy Lin (UCLA) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-1, 6-2
3. (36) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. (98) Tara Simpson (UW), 6-4, 6-2
4. (46) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 6-7, 6-3, (10-2)
5. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Vanja Radunovic (UW), 6-2, 6-1
6. (56) Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Kelsey Anonsen (UW), 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 6, 5, 3, 4, 1
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive