Cougars Post 5-2 Victory over UC Santa Barbara
March 10, 2008
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - The No. 36 Washington State University women's tennis team received wins at the top four singles positions en route to a 5-2 nonconference victory over UC Santa Barbara Monday afternoon at the Rob Gym Tennis Courts.
The Cougars (10-5) opened the day by taking two of three doubles matches for the opening point. Bianca Selaru and Aleksandra Stefanova began with an 8-3 win over Tova Hausman and Brittany Kausen 8-3, at No. 3. The Gauchos evened the match when Jill Damion and Asagi Onaga defeated Aleksandra Cekic and Marina Nicolas, 8-6, at No. 2. WSU's top-ranked pair of Ekaterina Burduli and Ekaterina Kamendova needed a tiebreaker to defeat Marta Simic and Charlotte Scatliffe, 9-8 (6), to seal the doubles point.
In single splay Selaru quickly made it a 2-0 lead by posting a 6-1, 6-0 win over Onaga at No. 4 singles before Kamendova increased the lead with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Charlotte Scatliffe at No. 3. Burduli then clinched the victory as she recorded a 6-2, 6-4 win over Marta Simic at No. 1 singles. The victory was the 23rd of the season and 86th of Burduli's career, one shy of Erica Perkins' school-record.
The Cougars continue their Southern California road trip Tuesday when they face Cal Poly. Match time is set for 11 a.m.
WASHINGTON STATE TENNIS
No. 36 Washington State 5 def. UC Santa Barbara 2
March 10, 2008
Rob Gym Tennis Courts
Santa Barbara, Calif.
1. Burduli/Kamendova (WSU) def. Simic/Scatliffe (UCSB) 9-8 (6)
2. Damion/Onaga (UCSB) def. Cekic/Nicolas (WSU) 8-6
3. Selaru/Stefanova (WSU) def. Hausman/Kausen (UCSB) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. (44) Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. Marta Simic (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
2. Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU) def. Jill Damion (UCSB) 2-6, 6-2, (10-6)
3. Ekaterina Kamendova (WSU) def. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
4. Bianca Selaru (WSU) def. Asagi Onaga (UCSB) 6-1, 6-0
5. Tova Hausman (UCSB) def. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Brittany Kausen (UCSB) def. Jessica Gomez (WSU) 6-2, 4-6, (10-3)
Order of Finish: 4,3,1,5,6,2