No. 7 USC Cleans Up With 7-0 Win Over Duke
March 14, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 7 USC men's tennis team stayed strong on its home courts on Friday afternoon, cruising to a 7-0 win over visiting Duke. The Trojans conceded only one doubles match to the Blue Devils before streaking through singles play and getting the match-clincher from Jason McNaughton at the No. 5 position. USC improves its overall record to 11-3 with the win.
In doubles, USC's #3-ranked Farah/Van't Hof topped Goulet/Price 8-4, as Robert Farah held serve to win the match at the No. 1 position. Duke pulled off an 8-5 win at No. 2 over USC's McNaughton/Sacks at No. 2, but the Trojans answered back from court three as Andrew Piotrowski put the finishing touches on an 8-5 Piotrowski/Poldma win with an ace to bring up singles play.
Jaak Poldma kicked off singles play with a lopsided and quick 6-0, 6-2 win over Jared Pinsky at No. 3. Robert Farah pushed USC ahead farther on a 6-4, 6-1 win from the No. 2 slot over #48 David Goulet next, pumping the sophomore's win streak up to eight straight. Up 3-0, USC would have to wait a bit to clinch the match. While matches at the No. 3 and No. 6 positions pressed into a third set, Jason McNaughton worked out to a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Duke's Alain Michel at No. 5, securing victory for the Trojans, up 4-0. Gary Sacks got his match done in two competitive sets, beating Alex Stone 7-5, 7-6 (5) for a 5-0 USC lead. And the remaining three-setters also wound up in USC's favor. Abdullah Magdas got a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 win over Aaron Carpenter at No. 6, and then Kaes Van't Hof finished off a comeback win with a 6-7 (2), 6-1, 6-3 victory over Dylan Arnould at No. 2 to close out the sweep for the Trojans.
USC now heads off on a road trip that will take the Trojans to Texas for a 4 p.m. CT match on March 20 and then a visit to the upcoming home of the NCAA Championship with a match at Tulsa at 12 p.m. CT on March 22.
#7 USC 7, #61 Duke 0
March 14, 2008 - Marks Stadium
(1) #3 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Goulet/Price (Duke) - 8-4
(2) Arnould/Stone (Duke) def. McNaughton/Sacks (USC) - 8-5
(3) Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Michel/Pinksy (Duke) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) #11 Robert Farah (USC) def. #48 David Goulet (Duke) - 6-4, 6-1
(2) #58 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Dylan Arnould (Duke) - 6-7 (2), 6-1, 6-3
(3) #90 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Jared Pinsky (Duke) - 6-0, 6-2
(4) #47 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Alex Stone (Duke) - 7-5, 7-6 (5)
(5) #95 Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Alain Michel (Duke) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Aaron Carpenter (Duke) - 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5*, 4, 6, 2