No. 9 USC Snags Win Over No. 4 Texas
March 21, 2008
AUSTIN, TEXAS -- The No. 9 USC men's tennis team pulled off some singles heroics to grab an upset win on the Longhorns home turf on Thursday, coming through for a 4-3 victory over No. 4 host Texas in a nonconference clash. The two teams had tangled during the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in February, when Texas claimed a 4-1 win over USC. On Thursday, the Longhorns went ahead 2-0 before the Trojans answered with four straight singles wins to secure the victory and improve to 12-4 on the season.
Texas moved ahead 1-0 in claiming the doubles point to open action in Austin, as only USC's #2 Farah/Van't Hof grabbed a win in an 8-6 decision at the No. 1 position. USC fell into a 2-0 hole when Robert Farah dropped his No. 1 singles match 6-4, 6-3 to Dimitar Kutrovsky, but that USC loss was followed by a string of key Trojan singles wins. Abdullah Magdas got the ball rolling with a 6-1, 6-4 win at the No. 6 slot over Josh Zavala to make it 2-1, and then Jaak Poldma tied things up on a 6-4, 7-5 win over Ed Corrie at No. 3. Kaes Van't Hof served up a 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-4 win over Kellen Damico at No. 2 next to pull USC within a match of clinching at 4-2, and then Gary Sacks secured the upset win for Troy with a 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 over Luis Diaz Barriga. The final match of the day went to the Longhorna in Milan Mihailovic's 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 win over Jason McNaughton at No. 5, but the Trojans had already tacked up the win.
USC rounds out its Spring Break road trip with a match at No. 8 Tulsa (14-2) at 12 p.m. CT on Saturday (March 22).
#9 USC 4, # 4 Texas 3
(1) Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Corrie/Damico (UT) - 8-6
(2) Reyes-Varela/Diaz-Barriga (UT) def. McNaughton/Sacks (USC) - 8-5
(3) Kutrovsky/Zavala (UT) def. Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) - 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT) def. Robert Farah (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Kellen Damico (UT) - 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-4
(3) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Ed Corrie (UT) - 6-4, 7-5
(4) Gary Sacks (USC) def. Luis Diaz-Barriga (UT) - 7-5, 6-3, 6-2
(5) Milan Mihailovic (UT) def. Jason McNaughton (USC) - 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Josh Zavala (UT) - 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 3, 2, 4*, 5
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive