No. 14 Women's Tennis Storms Past Arizona 7-0
March 22, 2008
Kelcy McKenna and Nadia Abdala headed up the doubles effort for the Devils, cruising to an 8-2 victory against Natalia Toporowska and Katie Orletsky at the No. 2 spot. Laila Abdala and Lauren Megale soon followed, defeating Jane Huh and Ariane Masschelein of the Wildcats 8-4. With the doubles point already decided, seniors Wendy Pilecka and Jessica Leitch were left to fight out the final doubles match in a tiebreaker as they were tied at 5-5 against Danielle Steinberg and Claire Rietsch at No. 1. Leitch and Pilecka elevated their level and took the tiebreak 7-2 to win the match 6-5 and seal the sweep for the Devils.
The Devils came out with the same intensity for the singles, jumping up 2-0 in the match score after freshman Ashlee Brown downed Orletsky at the No. 6 spot 6-2 6-1. L. Abdala put up another point for ASU, defeating Toporowska in straight sets at No. 3. The match victory was clinched for the Devils when N. Abdala came from a 4-2 deficit in the first set to win the last ten games of the match and defeat Steinberg 6-4 6-0 at the No. 1 spot. ASU went on to win the 7-0.
'No matter where each team is, as far as rankings go, it's always tough playing the Cats. We stepped up to the occasion and took care of business and showed that we were the better team,' assistant coach Josh Goffi said after the match.
Next week the Devils take on Pac-10 rivals Stanford on Friday, March 28 at 1:30 P.M. and UC Berkeley at noon on Saturday, March 29 at the
ASU def. UA 7-0
- W. Pilecka & J. Leitch (ASU) def. D. Steinberg & C. Reitsch (UA) 6-5(2)*
- N. Abdala & K. McKenna (ASU) def. N. Toporowska & K. Orletsky (UA) 8-2
- L. Abdala & L. Megale (ASU) def. J. Huh & A. Masschelein (UA) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
*Tiebreaker played at 5-5
- Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. Danielle Steinberg (UA) 6-4 6-0
- Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Claire Rietsch (UA) 6-4 6-3
- Laila Abdala (ASU) def. Natalia Toporowska (UA) 6-3 6-1
- Jessica Leitch (ASU) def. Jane Huh (UA) 6-1 6-1
- Wendy Pilecka (ASU) def. Ariane Masschelein (UA) 6-2 7-6(3)
- Ashlee Brown (ASU) def. Katie Orletsky (UA) 6-2 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5