Huskies Stumble On Road Against Ducks
March 24, 2008
EUGENE, Ore. - The 35th-ranked Washington women's tennis team may have shown some rust after not playing for 10 days, as they were upset, 5-2, by No. 60 Oregon today in an early morning match at Oregon's Student Tennis Center. Despite defeating the Ducks, 6-1, in Seattle earlier in the month, the Ducks scored the win in the official Pac-10 match, dropping the Huskies to 10-6, and 0-5 in conference.
Washington was dealt a tough blow to start the day, as Oregon prevailed in the doubles point, winning a tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles to clinch the point. UW's No. 1 team of Joyce Ardies and Tara Simpson had defeated Oregon's Anna Powaska and Celine Rolly, 8-4, but Oregon got the win at No. 3 doubles with Stephanie MacFarlane and Ana Cecilia Olivos defeating Vanja Radunovic and Aleksandra Malovic, 8-5. With the point on the line, UW's freshman duo Venise Chan and Kelsey Anonsen went to a tiebreak against Claudia Hirt and Carmen Seremeta, but fell short, 7-5.
Singles play was closely contested throughout, with four matches stretching to three sets, but the Huskies could only pull out two wins. Simpson, ranked 99th, overcame Powaska, 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7) at No. 3 singles, and Radunovic responded to a 6-3 first set loss by cruising past Hirt, 6-1, 6-1 in the next two sets at No. 5.
The rest of the matches went to the home team. 30th-ranked Chan was upset, 6-4, 6-2 by Rolly at No. 1 singles, after Chan had delivered a straight-set defeat to the Oregon freshman in the earlier match.
At No. 2 singles, Seremeta outlasted Malovic, 7-6 (5), 6-7 (2), 6-1. Ardies took the first set off MacFarlane at fourth singles, but then lost the momentum and the match, 6-4, 6-3. At No. 6, Olivos downed Anonesen, 6-4, 6-0.
The Huskies will have to regroup in a hurry while making a difficult cross country trip to Michigan as they will face Michigan State on Wednesday at 11 a.m. PT, then take on 28th-ranked Michigan on Thursday at 12 p.m. PT.
Washington Women's Tennis
3/24/08 - Eugene, Ore.
Student Tennis Center
No. 60 Oregon 5, No. 35 Washington 2
1. Ardies/Simpson (UW) def. Powaska/Rolly (ORE), 8-4
2. Hirt/Seremeta (ORE) def. Anonsen/Chan (UW), 9-8 (5)
3. MacFarlane/Olivos (ORE) def. Malovic/Radunovic (UW), 8-5
1. Celine Rolly (ORE) def. No. 30 Venise Chan (UW), 6-4, 6-2
2. Carmen Seremeta (ORE) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 7-6 (5), 6-7 (2), 6-1
3. No. 99 Tara Simpson (UW) def. Anna Powaska (ORE), 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7)
4. Stephanie MacFarlane (ORE) def. Joyce Ardies (UW), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Vanja Radunovic (UW) def. Claudia Hirt (ORE), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Ana Cecilia Olivos (ORE) def. Kelsey Anonsen (UW), 6-4, 6-0
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive