No. 20 Huskies Shut Out Santa Clara in Palm Springs
March 25, 2008
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - The 20th-ranked Washington men's tennis team took time out from its spring break today to roll through a 7-0 sweep of Santa Clara at a neutral site in Palm Springs, Calif. The match was the final tune-up for the Huskies (12-4) before Pac-10 play begins later this week.
Washington ran its winning streak to seven matches with a sweep of the doubles point and straight-set wins in every singles match.
Junior Patrik Fischer played his first match since garnering his career-high No. 77 singles ranking, and he dispatched Jay Wong, 6-3, 7-6. Freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan, ranked 94th, downed Kenzo Hirawaka-Wong by the same score at No. 2 singles.
Senior Andy Kuharszky ran his winning streak to seven with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Senthil Chidambaram at No. 3 singles. Kuharszky now has 82 career singles wins, one behind Marius Lunde (1998-2001) for seventh-place all-time at Washington.
Freshman Tobi Obenaus scored his first dual singles win since January 25, hammering John Iwanski, 6-0, 6-1.
Washington started quickly in doubles, winning 8-1 at No. 2 and No. 3. Fischer and Nedunchezhiyan closed things out with an 8-4 win over Jay Wong and Hirawaka-Wong at No. 1 doubles.
The Huskies will now enter into the ultra-competitive Pac-10 schedule, and will begin with the conference's two highest-ranked teams. Washington hosts sixth-ranked UCLA on Friday, Mar. 28 at 1:30 p.m., then faces No. 4 USC on Saturday, Mar. 29 at 1 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis
3/25/08 - Palm Springs, Calif.
No. 20 Washington 7, Pacific 0
1. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Jay Wong/Hirawaka-Wong (SCU), 8-4
2. Kuharszky/Drabble (UW) def. Iwanski/Justin Wong (SCU), 8-1
3. Martin Kildahl/Obenaus (UW) def. Chidambaram/Burke (SCU), 8-1
1. (77) Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Jay Wong (SCU), 6-3, 7-6
2. (94) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Kenzo Hirawaka-Wong (SCU), 6-3, 7-6
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Senthil Chidambaram (SCU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Charlie Burke (SCU), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Justin Wong (SCU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. John Iwanski (SCU), 6-0, 6-1