Spartans Upend Women's Tennis, 6-1
March 26, 2008
EAST LANSING, Mich. - Michigan State handed the Washington women's tennis team a 6-1 defeat today as UW struggled to find its form on the road. Sophomore Joyce Ardies picked up the only point for the Huskies (10-7) in a three-set win at No. 4 singles.
Washington, 9-2 at home but just 1-4 in away matches, lost the doubles point and fought hard in singles, but lost several close calls. The two winningest Huskies came up just short, as freshman Venise Chan lost a back-and-forth battle at No. 1 singles to Christine Bader, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 and senior Tara Simpson was defeated, 7-5, 7-5 by Manon Noe at No. 3. It is the first time Chan has suffered consecutive losses in her career.
Ardies' win was also well-earned, as she lost the first set, 6-0, to Lindsey Lonergan before fighting back to take the next two sets, 6-4 and 7-5. Freshman Kelsey Anonsen was a couple points from victory at No. 6 singles, but Michigan State's Michelle Murphy got the 11-9 super-tiebreak win in lieu of a third set, after the two split the first two sets.
The Spartans swept the doubles point, with the closest match coming at the No. 2 spot, where MSU's Noe and Milosavljevic defeated Anonsen and Chan, 8-6.
The Huskies will try to right the ship tomorrow against a formidable opponent in 29th-ranked Michigan. The match in Ann Arbor, Mich. is scheduled for 12 p.m. PT.
Washington Women's Tennis
3/26/08 - East Lansing, Mich.
Michigan State 6, No. 35 Washington 1
1. Bader/Wilson (MSU) def. Ardies/Simpson (WASH) 8-5
2. Milosavljevic/Noe (MSU) def. Anonsen/Chan (WASH) 8-6
3. Kebler/Lonergan (MSU) def. Radunovic/Malovic (WASH) 8-4
1. Christine Bader (MSU) def. No. 30 Venise Chan (WASH) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
2. Stephanie Kebler (MSU) def. Aleksandra Malovic (WASH) 6-0, 6-2
3. Manon Noe (MSU) def. No. 99 Tara Simpson (WASH) 7-5, 7-5
4. Joyce Ardies (WASH) def. Lindsey Lonergan (MSU) 0-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Whitney Wilson (MSU) def. Vanja Radunovic (WASH) 6-4, 6-3
6. Michelle Murphy (MSU) def. Kelsey Anonsen (WASH) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)