Bruins Down Huskies, 6-1 in Seattle
March 28, 2008
SEATTLE - The sixth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team recorded its first Pac-10 counting win of the season on Friday, taking a 6-1 victory over No. 20 Washington at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Bruins, who are looking to claim their fifth straight Pac-10 title, improve to 14-1 overall and 1-0 in the Pac-10. The Huskies fall to 12-5 and 0-1 in conference play.
UCLA clinched Friday's doubles point when Mathieu Dehaine and Holden Seguso took an 8-6 victory over Derek Drabble/Andy Kuharszky at court No. 2. That win was preceded by an 8-4 win by UCLA's 37th-ranked duo of Nick Meister and Harel Srugo at court No. 1.
Both Seguso and Srugo pulled out singles wins Friday after losing the first set. Seguso, ranked No. 31 nationally, moved to victory after his opponent, Kuharszky, was forced to retire due to injury. Srugo dropped the first set to No. 77 Patrick Fischer at court No. 1, however rallied to take a 2-6, 6-4, 7-5 win. Srugo is listed at No. 30 in the latest ITA Singles Rankings.
Other winners for UCLA on Friday included Jeremy Drean (court No. 5), Michael Look (court No. 4) and Dehaind (court No. 2). Meister lost in straight sets at court No. 6, falling 7-6(4), 6-2 to David Chu.
The Bruins will be in action again tomorrow, taking on Oregon in Eugene at 1:00 p.m.
1. (37) Meister/Srugo (UCLA) def. Fisher/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) - 8-4
2. Dehaine/Seguso (UCLA) def. Drabble/Kuharszky (UW) - 8-6
3. Drean/Look (UCLA) def. Martin Kildah/Tobi Obenaus (UW) - 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (30) Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. (77) Patrik Fischer (UW) - 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. (21) Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. (94) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) - 6-3, 6-7(2), 6-4
3. (31) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW) - 4-6, 7-6(2), 3-1 Ret.
4. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Derek Drabble (UW) - 6-4, 7-5
5. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) - 6-0, 6-4
6. David Chu (UW) def. Nick Meister (UCLA) - 7-6(4), 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6, 2, 3, 1
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive