Men's Tennis Drops First Match of Season
March 28, 2008
The No. 15 Arizona State men's tennis team dropped its first match of the season in its Pac-10 opener against No 34 Stanford. The Sun Devils dropped to 12-1 overall and 0-1 in conference. Prior to today's loss, this was the men's team's best start since 1979 and the best start of head coach Lou Belken's career.
Andres Arango dropped his match to No. 2 ranked Alex Clayton 6-3, 6-2. Playing in the No. 2 spot, Matt Brooklyn fell 6-3, 6-4 to No. 56 Matt Burch. Harry Skinner put up a tough fight. He dropped his first set and came back to win his second one but fell in his third. Juan Carlos Rebaza dropped two close straight sets, falling 7-6, 7-6 in the No. 4 spot. Wes Miller fell 6-4, 6-1. T.J. Bellama took his opponent to three sets before losing 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
The Sun Devils dropped all three of their doubles matches. No. 53 ranked Bellama and Brooklyn fell 8-4 to Stanford's Bruch and Blake Muller. Arango and Skinner dropped their match 8-3 in the No. 2 spot and John Nanosky II and Wes Miller fell 8-5.
The Sun Devils play California tomorrow at 1 p.m.
1. #2 Alex Clayton (S)def. #62 Andres Arango (ASU)6-3, 6-2
2. #56 Matt Burch (S) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Blake Muller (S) def. Harry Skinner (ASU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. #41 Richard Wire (S) def. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) 7-6, 7-6
5. Greg Hirshman (S) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Phil Kao (S) def. T.J. Bellama (ASU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
1. Bruch/Muller (S) def. #53 Bellama/Brooklyn (ASU) 8-4
2. Clayton/Paul Morrissey (S) def. Arango/Skinner (ASU) 8-3
3. Hirshman/Wire (S) def. John Nanosky II/Miller (ASU) 8-5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive