Huskies Fall 6-1 to No. 4 USC
March 29, 2008
SEATTLE - The 20th-ranked Husky men's tennis team was dealt a 6-1 defeat by No. 4 USC today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center, dropping the Huskies to 12-6 and 0-2 in Pac-10 play. Senior Andy Kuharszky upset 54th-ranked Gary Sacks for Washington's only point this afternoon.
Kuharszky showed no ill effects from a hamstring injury that forced him to retire in the third set of his match yesterday against UCLA, defeating Sacks, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 singles to pull UW to within 2-1. He has now won eight of his past nine matches and tied Marius Lunde (1998-2001) for seventh on UW's career singles wins list with 83.
Junior David Chu nearly made it a clean weekend sweep after his win vs. UCLA yesterday, but Chu lost a tight third set super-tiebreak, 10-8, to Andrew Piotrowski at No. 6 singles. The loss snapped a seven-match win streak for Chu.
The rest of singles all went to the Trojans in straight sets. 46th-ranked Kaes Van't Hof defeated UW's 77th-ranked Patrik Fischer, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1 singles, while freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan lost to USC's Jaak Poldma at No. 2 by the same score.
USC swept the doubles point, starting with an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles from Jack Levis and Poldma over Martin Kildahl and Tobi Obenaus. USC ended the point with a win at No. 1 doubles, where Van't Hof and Piotrowski topped Fischer and Nedunchezhiyan, 8-6.
Washington will now take to the road for the first part of April. Next week, UW will look to score its first conference wins at Arizona on Friday, April 4, and at Arizona State on Saturday, April 5.
Washington Men's Tennis
3/29/08 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 4 USC 6, No. 20 Washington 1
1. Van't Hof/Piotrowski (USC) def. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 8-6
2. Magdas/Sacks (USC) def. Kuharszky/Drabble (UW), 8-6
3. Jack Levis/Poldma (USC) def. Martin Kildahl/Tobi Obenaus (UW), 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. (46) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. (77) Patrik Fischer (UW), 6-2, 6-2
2. Jaak Poldma (USC) def. (94) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan, 6-2, 6-2
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. (54) Gary Sacks (USC), 6-3, 6-4
4. Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 6-4, 6-4
5. Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW), 6-2, 6-3
6. Andrew Piotrowski (USC) def. David Chu (UW), 4-6, 6-3, (10-8)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6