No. 4 USC Wins 6-1 In Washington
March 29, 2008
SEATTLE - The No. 4 USC men's tennis team pounded out its second Pac-10 road win of the week with a 6-1 victory over No. 20 Washington on Saturday afternoon in Seattle. The win was the Trojans' sixth straight and bumps USC's overall record to 15-3 while it takes a 2-0 mark in Pac-10 competition.
The Trojans kicked things off with a sweep of doubles play, opened with an 8-5 win by first-year players Jack Levis/Jaak Poldma over Obenaus/Kildahl at the No. 3 position. Abdullah Magdas/Gary Sacks dropped Drabble/Kuharszky 8-6 at No. 2 to clinch the point for the Trojans, and then Kaes Van't Hof/Andrew Piotrowski took care of things at No. 1 with an 8-6 win over Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan.
Jaak Poldma lifted USC ahead 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 takedown of #94 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan at the No. 2 slot. Washington crept in with a win at No. 3 as Andy Kuharszky beat #54 Gary Sacks 6-3, 6-4 to make it 2-1, but the Trojans took over with wins the rest of the way. #46 Kaes Van't Hof topped #77 Patrik Fischer 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 1 match, and then Abdullah Magdas locked away the win for USC on a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Derek Drabble at the No. 4 position. Finishing off the match with wins for the Trojans were Jason McNaughton at No. 5 and Andrew Piotrowski at No. 6. McNaughton got in the win column with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Ryo Sekiguchi, and then Piotrowski pulled off a third-set tiebreaker to claim a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8) decision over David Chu.
USC's next Pac-10 matches come next week as Stanford and Cal come to Marks Stadium. The Trojans host the Cardinal at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (April 4) and then face the Bears at 1 p.m. on Saturday (April 5).
#4 USC 6, #20 Washington 1
(1) Van't Hof/Piotrowski (USC) def. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) - 8-6
(2) Magdas/Sacks (USC) def. Drabble/Kuharszky (UW) - 8-6
(3) Levis/Poldma (USC) def. Obenaus/Kildahl (UW) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
(1) #46 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #77 Patrik Fischer (UW) - 6-2, 6-2
(2) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. #94 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) - 6-2, 6-2
(3) Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. #54 Gary Sacks (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(4) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Derek Drabble (UW) - 6-4, 6-4*
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) - 6-2, 6-3
(6) Andrew Piotrowski (USC) def. David Chu (UW) - 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 4*, 5, 6
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive