No. 5 Stanford Concludes Busy Week With 6-1 Win At Arizona
March 29, 2008
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 5 Stanford wrapped up a six-day, four-match stretch with a 6-1 victory over Arizona on Saturday afternoon in Tucson.
The Cardinal improved to 13-4 with the win and finished 3-1 for the week, with the only blemish coming yesterday in a 4-3 loss at No. 13 Arizona State. Earlier in the week, Stanford defeated No. 66 Cal Poly and No. 19 Pepperdine.
Stanford claimed the doubles point, winning at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots.
The Cardinal then made it 2-0 after Arizona was forced to default at No. 6 singles due to an illness. The Wildcats did not have another player available to play the match.
With a 2-0 advantage, Stanford worked quickly in sealing the match. On court five, Carolyn McVeigh blanked Claire Cox 6-0 in the first set before Cox was forced to retire due to an injury.
McVeigh's victory put the Cardinal up 3-0 and Hilary Barte continued her recent hot streak with a 6-3, 6-1 triumph over Danielle Steinberg at the No. 1 spot to clinch the match.
Arizona gained its point when Ariane Masschelein defeated Lindsay Burdette in a third set tie breaker; 6-2, 3-6, 10-6, at No. 4.
No. 5 Stanford 6, Arizona 1
1. Steinberg / Rietsch (ARIZ) def. Barte / Burdette (STAN) 8-6
2. Nguyen / Hodzic (STAN) def. Toporowska / Masschelein (ARIZ) 8-3
3. Durkin / McVeigh (STAN) def. Huh / Cox (ARIZ) 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Barte (STAN) def. Steinberg (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nguyen (STAN) def. Rietsch (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-4
3. Durkin (STAN) def. Huh (ARIZ) 7-5, 6-3
4. Masschelein (ARIZ) def. Burdette (STAN) 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
5. McVeigh (STAN) def. Cox (ARIZ) 6-0, ret.
6. Yen (STAN) def. Toporowska (ARIZ) default
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 10/18 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/19 | 3:00pm PTLive