California Men's Tennis Falls 6-1 to No. 4 UCLA
April 4, 2008
LOS ANGELES -
The No. 31 California men's tennis team (10-8, 2-1 Pac-10) suffered a 6-1 defeat at the hands of No. 4 UCLA (16-1, 3-0 Pac-10) today at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Golden Bears surrendered their first loss in Pac-10 Conference play, leaving UCLA and No. 5 USC as the remaining undefeated teams in the league. Freshman Pedro Zerbini got his 21st singles win of the year by defeating Jeremy Drean on court five 6-4, 6-4. Zerbini also helped his doubles team earn their 17th victory of the year when he teamed up with junior Geoff Chizever on the top doubles court to take out No. 59-ranked Nick Meister and Harel Srugo, 8-5.
The Bruins' Meister sealed the match for UCLA with his 6-3, 6-4 win over freshman Bozhidar Katsarov on court six. Prior to the clincher, the Bruins also took wins on court four and one in that order. On the fourth court, Michael Look got the win when freshman Jonathan Dahan retired before the second set due to injury. On the top singles court, No. 38 Srugo took a 6-2, 6-2 win over No. 92 sophomore Kallim Stewart.
With the match decided, UCLA's No. 23 Mathieu Dehaine completed a 10-4 third-set tiebreaker win over Pierre Mouillon on court two and No. 45 Holden Seguso took the 7-6(13), 6-4 win on court three against junior Eoin Heavey.
The Bears will stay in Los Angeles to face a 16-3 USC team tomorrow at the David X. Marks Tennis Stadium. The Trojans defeated No. 25 Stanford by a 6-1 score earlier today and are also undefeated in Pac-10 play at 3-0. Please check CalBears.com for updates and information.
No. 4 UCLA 6, No. 31 California
Apr. 4, 2008 | Los Angeles Tennis Center | Los Angeles, Calif.
1. Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) def. No. 59 Meister/Srugo (UCLA) 8-5
2. Dehaine/Seguso (UCLA) def. Heavey/Stewart (CAL) 8-4
3. Drean/Look (UCLA) def. Dahan/Katsarov (CAL) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3* (UCLA wins doubles point)
1. No. 38 Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. No. 92 Kallim Stewart (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
2. No. 23 Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Pierre Mouillon (CAL) 5-7, 6-3, 10-4
3. No. 45 Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 7-6(13), 6-4
4. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-2, Ret.
5. Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6*, 5, 2, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive