Huskies Finish 13th At PING/ASU Invitational
April 6, 2008
TEMPE, Ariz. - Washington women's golf shot a final round score of 24-over 312 to finish 13th at the PING/ASU Invitational which came to a close at Arizona State's Karsten Golf Course, Sunday.
Washington ended the 54-hole event at 53-over 917, finishing ahead of 23rd-ranked Stanford and 24th-ranked Vanderbilt which tied for 14th at 56-over 920. The Huskies opened the final day in a tie for 11th, just three shots out of the top-10, but UW wasn't able to duplicate its solid second round effort (7-over 295) during the last 18 holes.
USC won the team title over a highly competitive field, finishing as the only squad under par at 10-under 854. Host Arizona State was the runner-up (1-over 865) and UCLA placed third (12-over 876).
Freshman Anya Alavarez was the Huskies' top finisher for the second-straight tournament, setting a career-best tying for 15th. Her 54-hole score of 4-over 220 equaled her career-best set at the UNLV Spring Invitational. After carding a career-low 5-under 67 in the second round and entering the final round in a tie for third-place, Alvarez fell back with her 6-over 78 on Sunday.
Sophomore Molly Aronsson turned in the best round of the day for UW with her 3-over 75. Aronsson improved her scores as the tournament went on, bettering her first and second round scores of 7-over 79 and 4-over 76. Aronsson tied for 56th at 14-over 230 overall.
Rounding out the Husky lineup were sophomore Christina Yoon (tied for 61st, 16-over 232), freshman Karinn Dickinson (tied for 68th, 19-over 235) and freshman Nicole Ferrero (tied for 88th, 38-over 254).
USC's Dewi Claire Schreefel claimed medalist honors, besting ASU's Anna Nordqvist in a play-off by parring the 18th hole. The pair finished the tournament at 7-under 209. Their teammates Belen Mozo (USC) and Azahara Munoz (ASU) tied for third at 4-under 212.
The Huskies have one more regular season tournament on tap before getting ready for the Pac-10 Championships. UW will head to the Bay Area for the Peg Barnard Collegiate at Stanford, April 11-12.
Karsten Golf Course, Tempe, Ariz.
Par 72; 6230 yards
Final Team Results
1. USC 281-288-285-854 (-10)
2. Arizona State 288-292-285-865 (+1)
3. UCLA 294-296-286-876 (+12)
4. Texas A&M 293-290-296-879 (+15)
5. Georgia 289-293-298-880 (+16)
6. Denver 296-290-296-882 (+18)
7. Oklahoma State 292-299-296-887 (+23)
8. California 298-301-301-900 (+36)
9. Arizona 298-302-302-902 (+38)
10. New Mexico 302-300-301-903 (+39)
11. Pepperdine 299-309-303-911 (+47)
12. San Jose State 304-301-308-913 (+49)
13. Washington 310-295-312-917 (+53)
14. Stanford 307-306-307-920 (+56)
14. Vanderbilt 299-307-314-920 (+56)
16. San Francisco 310-312-303-925 (+61)
17. Oregon State 312-306-308-926 (+62)
Final Top-10 Individuals
T1. Dewi Claire Schreefel, USC* 68-69-72-209 (-7)
T1. Anna Nordqvist, Arizona State 70-70-69-209 (-7)
T3. Belen Mozo, USC 71-73-68-212 (-4)
T3. Azahara Munoz, Arizona State 73-70-69-212 (-4)
5. Sydnee Michaels, UCLA 71-72-70-213 (-3)
6. Sarah Zwartynski, Texas A&M 73-69-73-215 (-1)
7. Jaclyn Sweeney, Oklahoma State 72-73-71-216 (E)
8. Pernilla Lindberg, Oklahoma State 71-76-71-217 (+1)
8. Mary Jacobs, Arizona 73-71-73-217 (+1)
8. Tiffany Joh, UCLA 70-75-72-217 (+1)
* - winner in a play-off
T15. Anya Alvarez 75-67-78-220 (+4)
T56. Molly Aronsson 79-76-75-230 (+14)
T61. Christina Yoon 76-77-79-232 (+16)
T68. Karinn Dickinson 80-75-80-235 (+19)
T88. Nicole Ferrero 84-83-87-254 (+38)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:30pm PTLive