No. 22 ASU Earns 5-2 Win Over No. 23 UW
April 6, 2008
TEMPE, Ariz. - Patrik Fischer and Andy Kuharszky provided wins in singles but that was all the scoring for the 23rd-ranked Washington men's tennis team, as they dropped a 5-2 road decision to No. 22 Arizona State. The Huskies fall to 1-3 in Pac-10 play and 13-7 overall, with all seven losses coming to Top-25 teams.
Fischer, a junior ranked 82nd in singles, took out ASU's Matt Brooklyn at the No. 1 singles spot. Brooklyn is ranked 116th and was the 2007 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year. Fischer was too sharp today, however, defeating the sophomore, 6-3, 6-2.
Washington's final point came after Arizona State had already clinched the win. At third singles, Kuharszky defeated Juan Carlos Rebaza, 6-4, 3-6, and 10-7 in the third-set super-tiebreak.
The Sun Devils controlled the remaining singles matches, although junior Ryo Sekiguchi nearly scored at No. 6, falling 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 to T.J. Bellama. Freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan was topped, 6-1, 6-3, by 61st-ranked Andres Arango in the No. 2 match. At No. 4, sophomore Derek Drabble lost to Harry Skinner, 6-3, 6-2, and junior David Chu was beaten, 6-3, 6-3, by Wes Miller at No. 5 singles.
Doubles play was a struggle for the Dawgs, as they were swept 3-0. Brooklyn and Bellama won the No. 1 match, 8-3, over Fischer and Nedunchezhiyan, and Arango and Skinner defeated Kuharszky and freshman Brad Bator, 8-5, at No. 2. With the point secured, the No. 3 match went to a tiebreak at 7-7, and the Sun Devil pair defeated Drabble and freshman Martin Kildahl, 8-7 (6).
The Huskies will stay on the road next week for two more tough conference duals, as they face Stanford on April 11 and California on April 12 in the Bay Area.
Washington Men's Tennis
4/6/08 - Tempe, Ariz.
No. 22 Arizona State 5, No. 23 Washington 2
1. Brooklyn/Bellama (ASU) def. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 8-3
2. Arango/Skinner (ASU) def. Brad Bator/Kuharszky (UW), 8-5
3. Miller/John Nanosky II (ASU) def. Drabble/Martin Kildahl (UW), 8-7 (6)
1. (82) Patrik Fischer (UW) def. (116) Matt Brooklyn (ASU), 6-3, 6-2
2. (61) Andres Arango (ASU) def. (97) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 6-1, 6-3
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU), 6-4, 3-6, (10-7)
4. Harry Skinner (ASU) def. Derek Drabble (UW) 6-3, 6-2
5. Wes Miller (ASU) def. David Chu (UW), 6-3, 6-3
6. T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive