No. 10 USC Women Push Past No. 14 ASU
April 11, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 10 USC women's tennis team surrendered the doubles point but charged right back into control in its Pac-10 clash with No. 14 Arizona State on Friday, tacking up a 5-2 win at Marks Stadium. A streak of straight-set singles win rocketed the Women of Troy past the visiting Sun Devils, as USC improves to 16-6 overall and moves to a 4-2 mark in Pac-10 play.
Arizona State pinned up the doubles point first, getting wins at the No. 2 and No. 1 positions around a No. 3 win by the Trojans. USC freshmen team of Cristala Andrews/Maria Sanchez beat Pilecka/Megale 8-5 at their No. 3 slot, but the Sun Devils had claimed an 8-3 win at No. 2 as McKenna/Hein beat USC's Nelson/Kinstler, and ASU went on to secure the first point with an 8-4 win by #28 Abdala/Abdala over USC's #6 Fink/Niculescu.
USC made sure to steal back any momentum ASU had mustered in doubles, however. #10 Amanda Fink pulled the Trojans even on the scoreboard with a 6-1, 6-2 win over #26 Kelcy McKenna at the No. 2 singles position. A 6-2, 6-0 win from #108 Leyla Entekhabi over Ashlee Brown came next for USC from the No. 6 position as the Trojans moved into the lead. The Women of Troy pulled off a one-two punch to secure the win, getting victories at the No. 5 and No. 4 positions. #118 Sarah Fansler cruised by Micaela Hein 6-3, 6-3 and then #115 Maria Sanchez took down Wendy Pilecka 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5, as USC went up 4-1 in the match.
At the No. 1 position. USC's #50 Lindsey Nelson had to retire from her match with #31 Nadia Abdala with the Sun Devil leading in the third set 1-6, 6-1, 2-0. At No. 3, Gabriela Niculescu closed things down on the day with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Laila Abdala.
The Women of Troy now turn to face Arizona in a 12 p.m. match on Saturday (April 12) at Marks Stadium.
#10 USC 5, #14 Arizona State 2
(1) #28 Abdala/Abdala (ASU) def. #6 Fink/Niculescu (USC) - 8-4
(2) McKenna/Hein (ASU) def. Nelson/Kinstler (USC) - 8-3
(3) Andrews/Sanchez (USC) def. Pilecka/Megale (ASU) - 8-5
ASU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
(1) #31 Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. #50 Lindsey Nelson (USC) - 1-6, 6-1, 2-0 ret.
(2) #10 Amanda Fink (USC) def. #26 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) #71 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Laila Abdala (ASU) - 6-2, 6-1
(4) #118 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Micaela Hein (ASU) - 6-3, 6-3
(5) #115 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Wendy Pilecka (ASU) - 6-4, 6-2*
(6) #108 Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Ashlee Brown (ASU) - 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 5*, 1, 3
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive