No. 28 Stanford Rides Strong Singles Play In 5-2 Win
April 11, 2008
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 28 Stanford overcame an early deficit with strong singles play, posting a key 5-2 victory over No. 25 Washington on Friday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal improves to 10-8 while the Huskies fall to 13-8. Stanford, which has won two in a row and five of its last seven matches, closes out its home slate tomorrow against Oregon (1 p.m.) on Senior Day. The Cardinal is 8-3 at home so far this year.
Washington took an early 1-0 lead after capturing the doubles point. Stanford's No. 3 duo of Richard Wire and Gregory Hirshman posted an 8-4 win before the Huskies claimed victories at the top two spots.
Phil Kao quickly knotted the match at 1-1, thanks to a 6-0, 6-0 ambush of Washington's Ryo Sekiguchi at the No. 6 spot.
The clubs traded singles wins to keep the match even at 2-2. Alex Clayton won his team-best 23rd match with a solid 6-4, 6-1 win over Patrik Fischer at the top spot of the lineup, only to see Washington's Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan defeat Matt Bruch 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 2 position.
Hirshman followed with a 6-1, 6-2 victory on court five, giving Stanford a 3-2 edge.
That left Wire on court three and Muller on court four, with both players having taken the first set. Wire and Muller nearly finished at the same time, with Wire providing the clincher seconds earlier in a 7-6 (4), 7-5 victory.
No. 28 Stanford 5, No. 25 Washington 2
1) Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (WASH) d. Bruch/Muller (STAN) 8-4
2) Drabble/Kuharszky (WASH) d. Clayton/Kelly (STAN) 8-6
3) Wire/Hirshman (STAN) d. Kildahl/Obenaus (WASH) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1) No. 2 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. No. 82 Patrik Fischer (WASH) 6-4, 6-1
2) No. 97 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (WASH) d. No. 67 Matt Bruch (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
3) No. 95 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Andy Kuharszky (WASH) 7-6 (4), 7-5
4) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Derek Drabble (WASH) 7-6 (2), 6-4
5) Gregory Hirshman (STAN) d. David Chu (WASH) 6-1, 6-2
6) Phil Kao (STAN) d. Ryo Sekiguchi (WASH) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2, 5, 3, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive