No. 6 USC Men Beat No. 18 ASU 4-3
April 11, 2008
TEMPE, ARIZ. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team captured another Pac-10 dual match win on Friday, as the Trojans topped No. 18 Arizona State 4-3 in Tempe. After tacking up the doubles point, USC pulled out the singles wins necessary to lock down victory, lifting the Trojans to an 18-3 overall record and 5-0 mark in Pac-10 play.
The Trojans' top guns in doubles -- #2 Farah/Van't Hof ballooned their win streak to 14 straight with an 8-5 win over Brooklyn/Bellama at the No. 1 position, while Piotrowski/Poldma aided USC's cause in the doubles scene with an 8-4 win at the No. 3 spot over Miller/Nanosky. The Trojans slipped 9-8 at the No. 2 slot as ASU's Arango/Skinner edged out USC's Magdas Sacks, but the Trojans still pocketed the doubles point to move into singles play.
There, the Trojans had three singles players hold strong in straight-set wins to lock down victory. #34-ranked senior Kaes Van't Hof won his 11th consecutive singles match in a 6-3, 6-4 win over #61 Andres Arango at the No. 2 singles slot. At No. 3, freshman Jaak Poldma also put away his Sun Devil opponent, beating Juan Carlos Rebassa 6-3, 6-2, while at No. 6 Jason McNaughton posted a 6-3, 6-3 win over T.J. Bellama. On the losing end of their singles matches were three Trojans: #7 Robert Farah was topped by ASU's #116 Matt Brooklyn at the No. 1 position; Wes Miller beat USC's Abdullah Magdas 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5; and at No. 4 the battle raged into three sets, where ASU's Harry Skinner squeaked out a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (3) win over #53 Gary Sacks to round out the match as a 4-3 USC victory.
The Trojans return to action tomorrow (April 12) with a 1 p.m. match at Arizona in Tucson.
#6 USC 4, #18 ASU 3
(1) #2 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Brooklyn/Bellama (ASU) - 8-5
(2) Arango/Skinner (ASU) def. Magdas/Sacks (USC) - 9-8
(3) Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Miller/Nanosky (ASU) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #116 Matt Brooklyn (ASU) def. #7 Robert Farah (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) #34 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. #61 Andres Arango (ASU) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) #87 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. J.C. Rebazza (ASU) - 6-3, 6-2
(4) Harry Skinner (ASU) def. #53 Gary Sacks (USC) - 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (3)
(5) Wes Miller (ASU) def. Abdullah Magdas (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. T.J. Bellama (ASU) - 6-3, 6-3