Bears Trip Up No. 25 Huskies, 4-3
April 12, 2008
BERKELEY, Calif. - The 25th-ranked Washington men's tennis team fell short against No. 36 California today, dropping a 4-3 decision at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Huskies (13-9, 1-5 Pac-10) split the singles matches with the Bears but were done in by the doubles point.
For a squad with just one senior, Andy Kuharszky, road inexperience has been a difficult obstacle, as the Huskies finished just 2-5 on the road compared to 10-4 at home.
Freshman Martin Kildahl knotted the match at 3-3 with his three-set win over Ken Nakahara at No. 6 singles. Kildahl remained perfect in dual play (5-0) with a 6-4, 5-7, 6-4 win.
That left the No. 2 singles match between freshman Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan and Cal's Pierre Mouillon. Nedunchezhiyan won the first set in a tiebreak, 7-4, but Mouillon came back with a 6-2 second set win, and clinched the match, 6-3, in the third.
Earning clutch wins for UW this afternoon was junior Patrik Fischer at No. 1 singles and Kuharszky at No. 3. Fischer defeated 92nd-ranked Kallim Stewart, 7-5, 6-1, for his fourth win over a ranked foe. Kuharszky was a 6-4, 6-2 winner over Eoin Heavey. With 85 singles wins, Kuharszky is now just one behind Eric Drew for sixth-place all-time.
The doubles point proved to be decisive, and the Bears prevailed, 2-1. Cal got on the board first with an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles, where Heavey and Stewart defeated Drabble and Kuharszky. Fischer and Nedunchezhiyan replied with an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles, but Cal's pair of Jonathan Dahan and Katsarov claimed the point with an 8-5 in over Kildahl and freshman Tobi Obenaus in the No. 3 slot.
The Huskies will look to get back on track next weekend back in Seattle, where they conclude the regular season with a dual against the Oregon Ducks on Saturday, April 19, at 1:30 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis
4/12/08 - Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
No. 36 California 4, No. 25 Washington 3
1. Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Geoff Chizever/Zerbini (Cal), 8-4
2. Heavey/Stewart (Cal) def. Drabble/Kuharszky (UW), 8-5
3. Dahan/Katsarov (Cal) def. Obenaus/Kildahl (UW), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
1. (82) Patrik Fischer (UW) def. (92) Kallim Stewart (Cal), 7-5, 6-1
2. Pierre Mouillon (Cal) def. (97) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-3
3. Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal), 6-4, 6-2
4. Pedro Zerbini (Cal) def. Derek Drabble (UW), 7-6 (2), 6-4
5. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) def. David Chu (UW), 6-3, 6-3
6. Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Ken Nakahara (Cal), 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 6, 2*
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive