Husky Golfers Finish 11th At U.S. Intercollegiate
April 20, 2008
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Senior Zach Bixler and sophomore Nick Taylor each carded final round scores of even-par 70 to pace the Washington men's golf team on the last day of the U.S. Intercollegiate at Stanford Golf Course, Sunday, as the Huskies finished the tournament in 11th place at 50-over 890.
The Huskies turned in their best performance of the tournament during Sunday's final round with their score of 12-over 292 - an improvement of six and eight strokes over Washington's first and second round scores, on Saturday, respectively. UW made up some ground during the final 18 holes after beginning the day in 12th place.
Bixler was the Huskies' top finisher, tying for 25th on the individual leaderboard. Bixler's even-par 70 during the final round was his best effort of the tournament, as he finished at 7-over 217. He carded scores 5-over 75 and 2-over 72 in the two rounds on Saturday.
Taylor equaled Bixler with the low-round of the event for Washington with his even-par 70 as well. His final round performance included sinking an eagle on the par-5 first hole. Taylor tied for 48th at 15-over 225.
Rounding out the Husky lineup were sophomore Darren Wallace who tied for 43rd at 14-over 224 (72-75-77), freshman Tze Huang Choo (76-76-77) who tied for 62nd at 19-over 229 and junior John Wise who tied for 70th at 21-over 231 (75-81-75).
USC won the team title, dominating the field at 12-under 828. Host Stanford finished as the runner-up at 1-over 841, followed by Cal and UCLA which finished in a third-place tie at 17-over 857. USC's Rory Hie won medalist honors by eight strokes over UCLA's Kevin Chappell. Hie finished at 10-under 200.
The U.S. Intercollegiate marked the end of the regular season for the Huskies who will now have a week to prepare for the Pac-10 Championships hosted by California, April 28-30.
Stanford Golf Course, Palo Alto, Calif.
Par 70; 6742 yards
Final Team Results
1. USC 266-287-275-828 (-12)
2. Stanford 279-293-269-841 (+1)
3. California 288-289-280-857 (+17)
3. UCLA 284-290-283-857 (+17)
5. UC Irvine 285-296-280-861 (+21)
6. Arizona State 286-298-288-872 (+32)
7. San Diego State 285-298-291-874 (+34)
8. Oregon State 291-299-285-875 (+35)
9. UC Davis 293-305-292-888 (+48)
10. Oregon 287-305-297-889 (+49)
11. Washington 298-300-292-889 (+50)
12. TCU 294-308-291-893 (+53)
13. Toledo 205-302-298-895 (+55)
13. San Jose State 302-301-292-895 (+55)
15. Nevada 307-301-296-904 (+64)
16. Minnesota 300-304-304-908 (+68)
17. Northern Colorado 316-324-306-946 (+106)