No. 21 Women's Tennis Unstoppable in First Round of the 2008 NCAA Tournament
May 9, 2008
FRESNO, Calif. - The 21st-ranked Arizona State Women's Tennis team kicked off their 2008 NCAA Tournament campaign Friday in Fresno, Calif., which saw them churn out a flawless outing, taking a perfect 4-0 win over Sacramento State. The win puts ASU's record at 15-7 overall, while eliminating the Sacramento State Hornets from the tournament.
The Devils came out storming in doubles, with sister duo, Laila and Nadia Abdala leading the way as the 30th ranked team topped Sacramento State's Melissa Valenzuela and Katrina Zheltova in a quick 8-2 outing. Their teammates, 50th-ranked Jessica Leitch and Wendy Pilecka didn't make them wait long to take the point as they put away an 8-3 win over Karina Jarlkagnova and Luba Schifris.
Heading into doubles with a 1-0 lead, ASU only needed to take three more points to seal the win, which they did in succession. First one back to the stables was 26th-ranked Kelcy McKenna who took down Hornet, Anastassia Lyssenko at the No. 2 spot with a straight sets 6-2, 6-0 win. Following close in her path in the No. 3 spot was Laila Abdala who topped Melissa Valenzuela 6-3, 6-2.
Freshman, Ashlee Brown in the sixth-spot was the clincher for the Sun Devils on Friday as she stepped up to face Joyce Martinez, easily taking the first set 6-1. Martinez battled back in the second set though, where Brown dug deep to still take the win in straight sets, albeit with a tough 7-5 second set win.
The Sun Devils advance to the Second Round of the NCAA Tournament, where they'll face the winner of the 16th-ranked Fresno State Bulldogs versus Lamar match-up which is currently in progress. Tomorrow's Regional Championship match will kick-off at 1 p.m. in Fresno.
No. 21 Arizona State def. No. 53 Sacramento State, 4-0
Doubles (Arizona State wins doubles point)
) No. 30 Laila Abdala/Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. Melissa Valenzuela/Katrina Zheltova (CSUS), 8-2
2) No. 50 Jessica Leitch/Wendy Pilecka (ASU) def. Karina Jarlkaganova/Luba Schifris (CSUS), 8-3
3) Kelcy McKenna/Lauren Megale (ASU) vs. Anastassia Lyssenko/Aileen Tsan (CSUS), 6-5(DNF)
1) No. 23 Nadia Abdala (ASU) vs. No. 34 Katrina Zheltova (CSUS) 7-5, 6-5 DNF
2) No. 26 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. Anastassia Lyssenko (CSUS) 6-2, 6-0
3) Laila Abdala (ASU) def. Melissa Valenzuela (CSUS) 6-3, 6-2
4) Jessica Leitch (ASU) vs. Luba Schifris (CSUS) 3-6, 6-3, 3-1 DNF
5) Wendy Pilecka (ASU) vs. Karina Jarlkaganova (CSUS) 6-4, 3-5 DNF
6) * Ashlee Brown (ASU) def. Joyce Martinez (CSUS) 6-1, 7-5
Records: Arizona State (15-7); Sacramento State (21-7)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 7:00pm PTLive