USC Beats Southern, 4-0, To Advance To NCAA Second Round
May 10, 2008
No. 6 USC, a 16-time NCAA champion making its 30th NCAA appearance, breezed through to the second round with a 4-0 victory over SWAC champion Southern in an NCAA Championships Men's Tennis first-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Saturday (May 10).
USC improves to 20-4 and advances to face Pac-10 rival Cal on Sunday at noon at Marks Stadium. Southern finished the season at 10-12.
Southern, with only six players on the squad, was at an immediate disadvantage because its No. 1 singles player, Marlon Gichie, did not make the trip due to disciplinary reasons. Consequently, Southern was forced to forfeit No. 3 doubles as well as No. 6 singles.
Combined with the forfeit at No. 6 singles, USC led 2-0 as singles play started. Trojan No. 1 singles Robert Farah quickly dispatched of Bino Rasedisa, 6-0, 6-0, to put USC ahead, 3-0. Not long after, Troy clinched the match when Abdullah Magdas defeated Tyler Chin, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4 singles.
USC Coach Peter Smith: 'It was good to get a win today and advance to the second round. We are very excited to play Cal. We know how hard they play and how much fire they bring. We expect it to be a great match.'
Southern Coach Jeffrey Conyers: 'It was a good experience for the guys to come out here. They earned the NCAA trip. Most hadn't been here before. We ran into a big road block today in USC. It was a good hard-fought match and we played better than the score would indicate. It was hard to start down a point. But the guys fought their hearts out today.'
(1) Abdullah Magdas-Gary Sacks (USC) vs. Onx Matong-Bino Rasedisa (S), 6-1, susp.
(2) Andrew Piotrowski-Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Elvis Espinal-Kashwayne Nelson (S), 8-1
(3) Southern forfeited No. 3 doubles
Order of Finish: 3, 2 (No. 3 was forfeited)
(1) No. 6 Robert Farah (USC) def. Bino Rasedisa (S), 6-0, 6-0
(2) No. 29 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Onx Matong (S), 6-0, 5-3 susp.
(3) No. 72 Gary Sacks (USC) vs. Elvis Espinal (S), 6-1, 5-1 susp.
(4) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Tyler Chin (S), 6-0, 6-1
(5) Andrew Piotrowski (USC) vs. Kashwayne Nelson (S), 6-0, 4-1 susp.
(6) Southern forfeited No. 6 singles due to injured player prior to match starting.
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 4 (No. 6 was forfeited)