USC Takes Out Pepperdine, Advances To NCAA Round Of 16
May 10, 2008
No. 10 USC advanced to the Round of 16 with a 4-0 win over No. 18 Pepperdine in an NCAA Championships Women's Tennis second-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Saturday (May 10).
USC, after its eighth team title, improved to 19-7. Pepperdine finished its season at 20-5. USC improved to 36-12 all time against the Waves, including a 5-2 win earlier this season.
The Trojans are now one of only two teams to advance to the Sweet 16 each of the past 10 seasons when the field was expanded to 64 teams.
Lindsey Nelson and Lyndsay Kinstler secured USC's first doubles match with an 8-3 win over Jill Braverman and Anamika Bhargava. Minutes later, Trojans Cristala Andrews and Maria Sanchez (USC) downed Anete Bandere and Alex Liles, 8-5, to give USC a 1-0 lead. Pepperdine lost the doubles point for only the second time this season.
Trojan Maria Sanchez recorded USC's first singles point at No. 5, defeating Pepperdine's Jill Braverman, 6-2, 6-2.
Next to her on court 3, Gabriela Niculescu took care of the Waves' Bhargava, 6-2, 6-2. Trojan No. 1 Amanda Fink sealed the victory with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Sylvia Kosakowski to send USC to the Sweet 16.
USC Coach Richard Gallien
: 'It was a very good win considering what's at stake. Our last practice wasn't good and Pepperdine has had a lot of time off. I was really pleased with how we competed if not how we played. We played OK, not great.'
Pepperdine Coach Gualberto Escudero
: 'We won the doubles point here earlier this season and fully expected to win it again. If we won that, we'd still be playing because they won three singles and it looked like we might win three. The teams were evenly matched today outside of doubles. To win four points off of USC in singles is tough.'
(1) No. 5 Amanda Fink-Gabriela Niculescu (USC) vs. No. 11 Sylvia Kosakowski-Bianca Dulgheru, 6-6, susp.
(2) Lindsey Nelson-Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) def. Jill Braverman-Anamika Bhargava (PEP), 8-3
(3) Cristala Andrews-Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Anete Bandere-Alex Liles (PEP), 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,3
(1) No. 6 Amanda Fink (USC) def. No. 84 Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP), 6-0, 6-3
(2) No. 57 Lindsey Nelson (USC) vs. Anamika Bhargava (PEP), 2-6, 1-4 susp.
(3) No. 49 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Bianca Dulgheru (PEP), 6-2, 6-2
(4) Sarah Fansler (USC) vs. Anete Bandere (PEP), 4-6, 5-3 susp.
(5) No. 97 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Jill Braverman (PEP), 6-2, 6-2
(6) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) vs. Alex Liles (PEP), 6-7 (5-7), 3-3 susp.
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 3/29 | 7:00pm PTLive