Troy Dismantles Cal, 4-0, To Advance To NCAA Round Of 16
May 11, 2008
No. 6 USC, a 16-time NCAA champion making its 30th NCAA appearance, defeated Pac-10 rival Cal, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Men's Tennis second-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Sunday (May 11).
USC improved to 21-4 overall, winning for the 29th time in its last 30 dual matches at home in the last two years. Cal finishes its season at 13-11.
Troy's No. 3 doubles of Andrew Piotrowski and Jaak Poldma (USC) got off to a quick start against Cal's Jonathan Dahan and Bozhidar Katsarov and eventually closed them out, 8-3. Meanwhile on court 1, USC's No. 1 doubles team of Robert Farah and Kaes Van't Hof was locking horns with the Bears' Geoff Chizever and Pedro Zerbini (Cal), trailing, 5-6.
Magdas got USC's singles off to a fast start, dispatching of Dahan at No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-0. About 10 minutes later on court No. 3, Poldma gave USC a 3-0 overall lead with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Heavey.
USC's remaining four singles players were all up a set as they battled to earn the clinching point to send Troy into the Round of 16.
That honor went to Piotroswki at No. 6 singles, who took out Bozhidar Katsarov, 6-2, 6-4. Van't Hof was a game away from winning his own match when play stopped while Farah and Sacks were each in the third set.
USC will play its next match against the winner of Tulsa and Oklahoma State in Tulsa, Okla., on May 16.
USC Coach Peter Smith
'We got some great performances from a lot of different guys today. Our Nos. 2 and 3 doubles played as good as they have all year. Then, Magdas at 5, Jaak at 3 and Andrew at 6 just got off to such quick starts. It gave the entire team some great momentum and it was great to see Andrew finish it off. On to Tulsa.'
(1) No. 2 Robert Farah-Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Geoff Chizever-Pedro Zerbini (Cal), susp. 5-6
(2) Abdullah Magdas-Gary Sacks (USC) def. Eoin Heavey-Kallim Stewart (Cal), 8-4
(3) Andrew Piotrowski-Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Jonathan Dahan-Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2
(1) No. 6 Robert Farah (USC) v. Kallim Stewart (Cal), 6-3, 3-6, 0-1, susp.
(2) No. 29 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Pierre Mouillon (Cal), 7-6 (7-2), 5-0, susp.
(3) No. 54 Jack Poldma (USC) vs. Eoin Heavey (Cal S), 6-2, 6-2
(4) No. 72 Gary Sacks (USC) vs. Pedro Zerbini (Cal), 6-1, 2-6, 2-2, susp.
(5) Abdullah Magdas (USC) vs. Jonathan Dahan (Cal), 6-3, 6-0
(6) Andrew Piotrowski vs. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal), 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6