Golden Bears Begin 2008-09 Campaign at Pacific
Oct. 8, 2008
On the Pool Deck
The California women's swimming team opens its 2008-09 season in a dual meet against Pacific on Saturday, Oct. 11, in Stockton, Calif. The Golden Bears have plenty of talent and experience back in the pool this season, including 2008 All-Americans Madison Kennedy, Dana Vollmer, Lauren Rogers, Lauren Boyle, Alexandra Ellis, Tara Thomas, Hannah Wilson and Amanda Sims. Head coach Teri McKeever also has a solid blend of first-year athletes, including Olympic silver medalist Sara Isakovic. Cal opened last season against Pacific (in Berkeley) and triumphed by a score of 163-90. The Bears are 25-2 all-time against the Tigers.
2007-08 Cal Highlights
- Placed fifth at the 2008 NCAA Championships - the third consecutive year that the women's swim program has placed in the nation's top five.
- 10 Golden Bear student-athletes collected All-America honors.
- Seven student-athletes were selected to the Pac-10 All-Academic team.
- Cal had 21 former and current athletes represented at the U.S. Olympic Swim Trials in Omaha in June. Additionally, four other current and former Bears were representing their respective countries at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. - Cal head coach Teri McKeever was an assistant coach with the U.S. Olympic team in Beijing.
- Cal swimming legend Natalie Coughlin made Olympic history in the pool, becoming the first American woman ever (in any sport) to medal six times in a single Olympiad after garnering a silver in the women's 4x100-meter medley relay. Coughlin has now attained 11 career Olympic medals, and is tied former Cal men's swimmer Matt Biondi with the most Olympic medals by any Cal athlete.
- Recent Cal graduate Emily Silver claimed her first Olympic medal - a silver - when she was a part of the 4x100-meter freestyle relay.
- Freshman Sara Isakovic (representing her native Slovenia) won a silver medal in the 200 free, finishing in 1:54.97, just 0.15 seconds behind winner Frederica Pellegrini of Italy.
- Three current Golden Bear swimmers - Madison Kennedy, Lauren Rogers, Amanda Sims - all qualified (on the 26-member roster) for the 2009 World University Games in Belgrade, Serbia.
- Dana Vollmer and Lauren Rogers repeated as Pac-10 champions in the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke, respectively. Rogers also claimed a title in the 200 backstroke.
- Madison Kennedy set a school record in the 50-yard freestyle with a 21.87 at the NCAA Championships.
- Lauren Boyle broke the school record in the 1650-yard free with a fifth-place finish and personal-best 16:01.80 at the 2008 NCAA Championships (she first broke the record at the 2008 Pac-10 Championships with a 16:03.51 - a record that stood for 20 years).
- Cal continued its dominance in the 800-yard freestyle relay at Pac-10s, claiming the top spot for a fifth consecutive year.
- Dana Vollmer broke Mary T. Meagher's 1986 Cal dual meet record in the 200 fly with a time of 1:53.96 at Stanford and Natalie Coughlin's 2003 dual meet record in the 100 fly with a time of 51.79 also at Stanford.
Cal squares off in a dual meet with the Texas Longhorns at Noon at Spieker Aquatics Complex.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive