Huskies Fall At Stanford, 4-2

Nov. 7, 2008

Box Score

PALO ALTO, Calif. - Washington fell behind 3-0 and couldn't quite recover, suffering a 4-2 loss to Stanford in Pac-10 men's soccer action at Laird Q. Caigan Stadium in Palo Alto, Calif., Friday evening.

The Cardinal rattled off three-straight goals including two in the first half, but the Huskies battled back to make it 3-1 on junior midfielder Daniel Phelps' first career goal in the 74th minute. Stanford answered right away, though, scoring for the fourth time in the 79th minute. UW senior midfielder Raphael Cox converted on a penalty kick just a minute later but the Huskies' second-half rally fell short.

The loss dropped Washington to 8-6-2 overall and 3-3-2 in Pac-10 play. Stanford on the other hand, snapped a four-game losing streak with the win, improving to 4-10-2 overall and 2-5-1 in league action. Stanford's victory evened the season series between these two teams as Washington won the earlier meeting on Oct. 3, 1-0.

'It was one of those nights when the opposition threw everything they had at us and we couldn't answer,' UW head coach Dean Wurzberger said. 'We were behind by three goals twice and couldn't manage any sustained possession. It was a fast paced game and it was hard for us to stay with them tonight for whatever reason. We just couldn't get going in practically any area. We had trouble containing them in the back. We had difficulty in trying to control the game and we couldn't manage any goals until the very end.'

The four goals given up by the Huskies were a season-high, but junior goalkeeper Rylan Hawkins also grabbed a season-high seven saves, just one away from his career-high set as a redshirt-freshman.

Four different Stanford players scored their first goals of the season in the match, starting off with junior midfielder Michael Strickland who put the Cardinal up early in the 24th minute. Stanford struck again just before the intermission on a goal from freshman midfielder Taylor Amman at 44:16.

Down 2-0 and having been outshot 12-9 in the opening 45 minutes, the Huskies came out after halftime looking to turn things around. UW proceeded to outshoot Stanford 7-6 and find the back of the net twice in the second-half, but the Cardinal was able to keep up their offensive attack as well.

Stanford went ahead 3-0 on a goal from senior defender/midfielder Enrique Allen in the 68th minute. Not about to go down easily, the Huskies came back with the goal from Phelps in the 74th minute, an effort assisted by freshman forward Dylan Tucker-Gangnes and Cox.

But the Cardinal kept firing and extended their lead to 4-1 on a 25-yard lofted shot from freshman midfielder Garrett Gunther in the 79th minute. UW answered when Cox connected on a penalty kick in the 80th minute but neither team would score again during the final 10 minutes.

The Huskies will now look to get back in the win column when they wrap their final regular season road trip at No. 14/25 California, Sunday, Nov. 9, at 2 p.m. in Berkeley.

Pac-10 Men's Soccer
Stanford 4, Washington 2
Laird Q. Caigan Stadium; Palo Alto, Calif.

Scoring - 1, STAN, Michael Strickland (Tim Jones), 23:12. 2, STAN, Taylor Amman (Daniel Leon), 44:16. 3, STAN, Enrique Allen (Michael Strickland), 67:33. 4, UW, Daniel Phelps (Dylan Tucker-Gangnes, Raphael Cox), 73:42. 5, STAN, Garrett Gunther (unassisted), 78:19. 6, UW, Raphael Cox (penalty kick), 79:31.
Shots - UW 16, STAN 18
Corners - UW 2, STAN 11
Saves - UW 7 (Rylan Hawkins), STAN 2 (John Moore)
Fouls - UW 16, STAN 16
Attendance - 442

Now on Pac-12 Network
4:00 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder