Oregon State-Pittsburgh Post-Game Notes
Dec. 31, 2008
Oregon State vs. Pittsburgh
December 31, 2008
Sun Bowl Stadium
Oregon State Post-Game Notes
- Pittsburgh won the coin toss and elected to defer until the second half. The Beavers received the ball andl defended the South End Zone.
- Oregon State was clad in their home orange jerseys with visitor white pants; Pittsburgh wore its home blue uniforms ... Oregon State was penalized a time out for improper uniform following the opening kick-off.
- The game was nationally televised by CBS making 2008 the first time that Oregon State has had every game broadcast live. Verne Lundquist (play-by-play), Gary Danielson (analyst) and Tracy Wolfson (sideline analyst) served as the talent for the game.
- The meeting was the 2nd all-time between the teams; the first meeting came in the 2002 Insight Bowl which was won by Pittsburgh 38-13.
- Attendance for the game was 49,037.
Oregon State Team Notes
- Neither team scored in the first quarter. It marked just the third time the Beavers and their opponent have gone into the second quarter with no score. The first came in the season opener at Stanford and the second in the Beavers' final road game at Arizona.
- The Beavers and Panthers combined for three first-half points, the least in a first half this season. Oregon State and UCLA went into halftime with a 3-3 tie on Nov. 8 and OSU and Arizona were tied at three as well. Both times Oregon State earned road victories.
- The last time Oregon State won a game by a score of 3-0 was in 1967 when they beat No. 1 USC in Corvallis.
Oregon State Individual Notes
- Keenan Lewis' first quarter interception was his fourth of the season setting a career high ... his four interceptions also leads OSU in 2008.
- Sammie Stroughter entered the game ranked third in OSU history in receptions and receiving yards ... with 6 catches and 88 yards, Stroughter remains third on both lists with 164 receptions and 2,653 receiving yards ... Stroughter also passed the 1,000-yard receiving mark for the season for the second time in his career joining Mike Hass (three times) and James Newson (twice) as the only receivers in OSU history with more than one 1,000-yard season.
- Victor Butler finished the game with 3.5 sacks giving him 11.5 for the season which ties for second on OSU's all-time season list ... it also gives him 25.0 career sacks which ranks second in OSU history.
- Slade Norris finished the game with 1.5 sacks giving him 10.5 for the season which ranks sixth on OSU's all-time season list ... it also gives him 19.5 career sacks which ties for third in OSU history.
- Jeremy Francis rushed for 76 yards on 15 carries to set career-highs for both.
- Chris Johnson made his second career start (in place of James Rodgers) and tallied 3 catches for 21 yards giving him 6 receptions and 60 yards for the season.
- Johnny Hekker was awarded the John Folmer Special Teams Player of the Game.
- Victor Butler was chosen as the Jimmy Rogers Lineman of the Game.
Now on Pac-12 Network
TODAY | 12:30pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder