No. 10 USC Snags 6-1 Win Over UC Irvine
Jan. 21, 2009
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 10 USC women's tennis team bounced out to a win in its first dual match of the season, knocking out a 6-1 win over visiting No. 64 UC Irvine on Wednesday afternoon at USC's Marks Stadium. After a sweep through doubles play, USC picked up a pair of quick singles wins to set up the match-clinching victory from USC senior captain Amanda Fink. The Women of Troy jump out 1-0 on the year as they await a Friday (Jan. 23) match against Long Beach State at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
Led by a smooth 8-2 win at the No. 3 slot from Sarah Fansler / Lyndsay Kinstler, the Trojans secured the doubles point with an 8-3 win at No. 1. At the top position was Pac-10 Doubles Champions and #31 team Amanda Fink / Gabriela Niculescu, who took down their opponents with an 8-3 decision to get the doubles point notched for the Trojans. Finishing up doubles action with another Trojan victory was #24 Alison Ramos / Maria Sanchez at No. 2. They pulled out an 8-6 win to bring up the singles section of the season-opening dual match.
In singles, Leyla Entekhabi set the tone with a quick, to-the-point 6-0, 6-1 win over Ali Borowicz at the No. 6 position. #38 Fansler followed suit with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Clare Fermin at No. 2, setting up Fink's clincher at No. 3. #16 Fink tacked up a 6-3, 6-0 win over Brooke Bartlett, and the Trojans' first win of 2009 was in the books.
At No. 4, #67 Niculescu put forth a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Rebecca Kwan to make it a 5-0 USC lead. Meanwhile, at No. 1, #22 Sanchez overcame a slip in the first set to pound out a 6-7, (2), 6-0, 6-3 comeback effort over Stephanie Hammel and get USC ahead 6-0. Playing in her first dual match with the Trojans was freshman #36 Alison Ramos. She went three sets against Courtney Byron but fell in a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 decision to round out the match as a 6-1 USC win.
#10 USC 6, #54 UC Irvine 1
(1) #31 Fink/Niculescu def. Fermin/Kwan (UCI) - 8-3
(2) #24 Ramos/Sanchez (USC) def. Hammel/Kaloi (UCI) - 8-6
(3) Fansler/Kinstler (USC) def. Young/Young (UCI) - 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) #22 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Stephanie Hammel (UCI) - 6-7 (2), 6-0, 6-3
(2) #38 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Clare Fermin (UCI) - 6-2, 6-2
(3) #16 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Brooke Bartlett (UCI) - 6-3, 6-0
(4) #67 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Rebecca Kwan (UCI) - 6-4, 6-3
(5) Courtney Byron (UCI) def. #36 Alison Ramos (USC) - 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
(6) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Ali Borowicz (UCI) - 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3*, 4, 1, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 3:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 5:00pm PTLive