Trojans Sweep Through Startup
Jan. 24, 2009
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team outlasted the rainy skies and didn't skip a beat in serving up back-to-back shutouts in its opening to the 2009 dual match season. Wet weather delayed the start of today's matches, but the Trojans stayed focused and pinned up 7-0 wins over Loyola Marymount and Sacramento State to open the year with a 2-0 record.
Clean sweeps through doubles play started up both matches. At the No. 1 slot, Robert Farah / Steve Johnson tacked up a pair of wins, as did Abdullah Magdas / Daniel Nguyen at No. 2, and Andrew Kells / Jaak Poldma at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, USC went with different lineups in the two matches. Against the Lions, Abdullah Magdas took up the No. 1 position and finished off the match with a win in the third set tiebreaker. Andrew Kells had opened things with a quick win at the No. 6 slot, followed by fellow freshman Steve Johnson's victory at No. 2. Another freshman - Matt Kecki - clinched the win with a smooth victory at No. 3. The 4-0 USC score was ballooned to 6-0 thanks to two more lopsided singles wins from freshman Daniel Nguyen at No. 5 and junior Jason McNaughton at No. 4 to set up Magdas' finishing touches.
In the day's second dual match, Gliner got his first win of the day in a quick one from the No. 6 slot. Johnson then made it a 2-0 day with a win at No. 3, and Nguyen secured victory next from the No. 4 spot. Jaak Poldma stepped into the No. 2 position and pulled out a third-set tiebreak win. At No. 5, McNaughton did the same to make it 6-0 USC, setting up Robert Farah's victory at No. 1 to close out a wet but winning day for the Trojans at Marks Stadium.
USC's next dual match action takes the Trojans to San Diego for a 1:30 p.m. match on Tuesday (Jan. 27).
USC 7, LMU 0
(1) Farah/Johnson (USC) def. Lopez/Maggi (LMU) - 8-6
(2) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) def. Andersian/Von Der Ahe (LMU) - 8-0
(3) Kells/Poldma (USC) def. Berhof/Popov (LMU) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
(1) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Lopez (LMU) - 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-1)
(2) Steve Johnson (USC) def. Maggi (LMU) - 6-0, 6-2
(3) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Andreasian (LMU) - 6-0, 6-2
(4) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Berhof (LMU) - 6-0, 6-2
(5) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Popov (LMU) - 6-1, 6-0
(6) Andrew Kells (USC) def. Von Der Ahe (LMU) - 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3*, 5, 4, 1
USC 7, Sacramento State 0
(1) Farah/Johnson (USC) def. Stryhas/Harbatsium (SacSt) - 8-4
(2) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) def. Ching/Starcevic (SacSt) - 8-1
(3) Kells/Poldma (USC) def. Smith/Roberts (SacSt) - 8-7 (4)
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Styhas (SacSt) - 7-6, 7-5
(2) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Harbatsiuk (SacSt) - 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (11-9)
(3) Steve Johnson (USC) def. Ching (SacSt) - 6-1, 6-1
(4) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Strarcevic (SacSt) - 6-1, 6-0
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Smith (SacSt) - 5-7, 6-1 1-0, (16-14)
(6) Daniel Gliner (USC) def. Deguzman (SacSt) - 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4*, 2, 5, 1