Fifth-Ranked Stanford Blanks UC Davis In Season Opener
Jan. 28, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - The Stanford women's tennis team began the dual season on the right note, blanking UC Davis 7-0 in the first head-to-head match of the season at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal is now 1-0, while the Aggies fall to 2-3.
Stanford dominated the doubles matches, led by the No. 41 pair of sophomore Hilary Barte and junior Lindsay Burdette, who recorded the 8-0 shutout over Jenna Kappel and Randi Schuler. The Cardinal only conceded three games total in doubles.
Following the doubles sweep, Stanford went on to win all six singles matches. Freshmen Veronica Li and Courtney Clayton breezed past their opponents after only dropping one game in their entire matches, setting up sophomore Carolyn McVeigh to win the clinching match at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 6-2.
Senior Jessica Nguyen shutout her opponent Herzyl Legaspi in straight sets, and Barte defeated Schuler 6-2, 6-2. Burdette finished up things, coming up with the big victory in the second set, 6-1, after battling back from behind to take the first set 7-6.
The Cardinal return to action this Friday, taking on Colorado at 2 p.m. at Taube in the first leg of ITA Indoor Qualifying.
Final Score: #5 Stanford 7 - UC Davis 0
1) # 41 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Kappel/Schuler (UCD), 8-0
2) McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. Legaspi/Zamudio (UCD), 8-2
3) Li/Yen (STAN) d. Andrea Phillips/Shapiro (UCD), 8-1
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) #26 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. Randi Schuler (UCD); 6-2, 6-2
2) Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Herzyl Legaspi (UCD); 6-0, 6-0
3) #97 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Dahra Zamudio (UCD); 7-6, 6-1
*4) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Jenna Kappel (UCD); 6-0, 6-2
5) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Jessica Harris (UCD); 6-0, 6-1
6) Courtney Clayton (STAN) d. Emma Shapiro (UCD); 6-1, 6-0
* denotes clinched match point
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4, 1, 2, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive