Bruins Cruise Over South Alabama, 4-0 in Team Indoor Qualifying
Jan. 30, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The No. 4 UCLA men's tennis team cruised to a quick victory in the first round of ITA Team Indoor Qualifying at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Friday, beating a shorthanded South Alabama squad 4-0. With the win, the Bruins (3-0) will next face Fresno State (2-0) on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. The Bulldogs edged SMU, 4-3 in their first-round match on Friday.
With only five eligible players, South Alabama was forced to default matches at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles, making the chance for an upset even more remote for the nation's 73rd-ranked team. With the default, the Bruins needed only one doubles win to take the point, and they got it at court No. 2 where Matt Brooklyn and Holden Seguso quickly dispatched of Hanno Bartsch/Romain Bocaert, 8-0. UCLA was leading 6-5 at court No. 1 when play was suspended.
Because of the default in singles as well, the Bruins actually took a 2-0 into singles play, as the No. 6 position was not contested by the Jaguars. UCLA would get the two points needed to clinch the match, as Nick Meister and Amit Inbar finished within seconds of each other at court Nos. 4 and 5, respectively. Meister didn't drop a single game in his match against Hanno Bartsch, while Inbar won his match 6-1, 6-0.
#4 UCLA def. #72 South Alabama, 4-0
ITA National Team Indoor Qualifying
January 30, 2009 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Abid/Inbar (UCLA) led Dominguez/Ramirez (USA) - 6-5 Susp.
2. Brooklyn/Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Bartsch/Bocaert (USA) - 8-0
3. UCLA wins by default
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. Haythem Abid (UCLA) led Sergio Ramirez (USA) - 7-5 Susp.
2. Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) led Romain Bocaert (USA) - 6-1 Susp.
3. Michael Look (UCLA) tied with Leo Dominguez (USA) - 5-5 Susp.
4. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Hanno Bartsch (USA) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Aaron Krisan (USA) - 6-1, 6-0*
6. UCLA wins by default
* Denotes Clinching Match - Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5