Huskies Sweep Singles Matches To Top Hoosiers
Jan. 30, 2009
ATHENS, Ga. - In the first round of qualifying for the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the Washington men's tennis team rolled past Indiana, 6-1, at the Hopkins Indoor Courts on the campus of the University of Georgia. The 36th-ranked Huskies (4-1) will now play the winner of No. 3 Georgia or No. 51 South Carolina on Saturday for the right to advance to the National Team Indoor final site.
This is the first year that qualifying rounds have been implemented for the National Team Indoor tournament. The winners of 15 four-team qualifying brackets will join host institution Illinois in Chicago for the finals from Feb. 13-16.
Washington bounced back from dropping the doubles point to dominate in singles play, winning all six matches in straight sets. In the No. 1 singles match, senior Patrik Fischer had little trouble with Indiana's Lachlan Ferguson, winning 6-0, 6-2. At second singles, sophomore Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan picked up a 6-2, 6-3 win over Santiago Gruter. Sophomore Martin Kildahl was a 6-1, 6-3 winner at No. 3 singles against Jeremy Langer.
Junior Derek Drabble continued his strong early season play, moving up to No. 4 singles and improving to 5-0 in dual play with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Will Kendall. One spot below that, Ryo Sekiguchi overcame Jonathan Schroeder, 6-3, 6-4. At sixth singles, playing in his first singles match this year, sophomore Tobi Obenaus topped Maxime Armengaud, 6-3, 6-3.
Indiana claimed the doubles point with 8-5 wins at both first and third doubles. Drabble and Fischer did have the day's most decisive win, however, defeating Ferguson and Guy Kubi, 8-1, at second doubles.
Should the Huskies face Georgia tomorrow at 11 a.m. Pacific as expected, the UW will be attempting to snap a 49-match home win streak for the Bulldogs. Georgia is the two-time defending NCAA Champion.
Washington Men's Tennis
January 30, 2009 - Athens, Ga.
Hopkins Indoor Courts
No. 36 Washington 6, No. 55 Indiana 1
1) Langer/Gruter (IU) def. Kildahl/Nedunchezhiyan (UW), 8-5
2) Drabble/Fischer (UW) def. Ferguson/Guy Kubi (IU), 8-1
3) Peter Antons/Amerngaud (IU) def. Obenaus/Alex Rosinski (UW), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Lachlan Ferguson (IU), 6-0, 6-2
2) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Santiago Gruter (IU), 6-2, 6-3
3) Martin Kildahl (UW) def. Jeremy Langer (IU), 6-1, 6-3
4) Derek Drabble (UW) def. Will Kendall (IU), 6-2, 6-1
5) Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) def. Jonathan Schroeder (IU), 6-3, 6-4
6) Tobi Obenaus (UW) def. Maxime Armengaud (IU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 6