No. 6 Trojans Land Commanding Win in First Round of ITA Indoor Qualifying
Jan. 30, 2009
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The #6 USC men's tennis team put together a 6-1 win over #56 Mississippi State this afternoon at Marks Stadium in the first round of the ITA Indoor Championships Qualifying. The win brings USC's dual meet record to 4-0 and puts Mississippi State at 0-1. USC went down to the wire in doubles to bring in the point and then got three quick points in singles, capped off by a strong finish from No. 1 Robert Farah.
USC got things started off right in doubles when the #2 Farah/Johnson pairing put away MSU's Doerr/Stump, 8-3 from the No. 1 slot. However, Sanchez/Lastre of MSU came away with an 8-6 win over Magdas/Nguyen. It was up to Poldma/Kells to get the point for the Trojans. They were able to come away with the win, 9-7, to put the Trojans ahead 1-0 going into singles.
In singles the Trojans made quick work of the Bulldogs, with No. 2 Jaak Poldma coming away with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Daniel Sanchez. Following suit was #64 Abdullah Magdas, coming out of the No. 4 slot who put away his opponent, Louis Cant, 6-2, 6-2. Rounding out the top three finishers to give USC the four points needed for the win was #7 Robert Farah, who topped Ryan Farlow out of the No. 1 spot 6-4, 6-0. No. 6 Jason McNaughton followed with a win over Christopher Doerr, 6-1, 6-1. #58 Steve Johnson beat Artem Ilyushin out of the No. 3 spot 6-2, 6-2, to put the Trojans at 6-0. The closest singles match of the night was out of the No. 5 spot, where Daniel Nguyen and Antonio Lastre took it to a third set tie-breaker, with Nguyen losing to Lastre, 1-6, 6-7(0), 0-1(8-10).
USC will next turn to the University of San Diego Toreros, who beat St. Mary's earlier in the day, in a match-up tomorrow, Saturday (Jan. 31) at 2:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium. The match-up will be a repeat of a dual meet that USC hosted against USD earlier in the week on Tuesday where the Trojans beat the Toreros 6-1.
USC 6, MSU 1
(1) Farah/Johnson (USC) def. Doerr/Stump (MSU) - 8-3
(2) Sanchez/Lastre (MSU) def. Magdas/Nguyen (USC) - 8-6
(3) Poldma/Kells (USC) def. Ilyushin/Cant (MSU) - 9-7
USC wins doubles point
Order: 1, 2, 3
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Farlow (MSU) - 6-4, 6-0
(2) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Daniel Sanchez (MSU) - 6-2, 6-3
(3) Steve Johnson (USC) def. Artem Ilyushin (MSU) - 6-2, 6-2
(4) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Louis Cant (MSU) - 6-2, 6-2
(5) Antonio Lastre (MSU) def. Daniel Nguyen (USC) - 1-6, 7-6(0), 1-0 (10-8)
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Christopher Doerr (MSU) - 6-1, 6-1
Order: 2, 4, 1*, 6, 3, 5