Bruins Blank Gophers, 4-0 in ITA Team Indoor Qualifying
Jan. 31, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The No. 3 UCLA women's tennis team posted a solid result in its first match of ITA Team Indoor Qualifying at the Los Angeles tennis Center on Saturday, registering a 4-0 victory over Minnesota. Next up for the Bruins (2-0) is a meeting with No. 24 LSU (3-0) on Sunday at 1:00 p.m., with the winner of that match advancing to the 16-team National Team Indoor Finals, Feb. 12-15 in Madison, Wisc.
UCLA was leading on all six singles courts when play was suspended. Both Andrea Remynse (court No. 1) and Ashley Joelson (court No. 4) lost just one game in their respective matches, giving the Bruins a 3-0 advantage. The dual match was clinched at court No. 3, as No. 63 Maya Johansson was a 6-1, 6-1 winner over No. 115 Alessandra Ferrazzi.
UCLA was just as dominant in doubles, taking the point when Remynse and partner Yasmin Schnack took an 8-2 win over Karina Chiarelli/Alex Seaton at court No. 1.
Sunday will mark the first-ever meeting between UCLA and LSU in women's tennis.
#3 UCLA def. #64 Minnesota, 4-0
ITA National Team Indoor Qualifying
January 31, 2009 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. Chiarelli/Alex Seaton (UM) - 8-2
2. Joelson/Carling Seguso (UCLA) led Ferrazzi/Wilkins (UM) - 5-4 Susp.
3. (39) Johansson/Wetmore (UCLA) def. Koprivica/Wiecha (UM) - 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. (31) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Karina Chiarelli (UM) - 6-0, 6-1
2. (106) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) led Nitooli Wilkins (UM) - 6-1, 5-1 Susp.
3. (63) Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. (115) Alessandra Ferrazzi (UM) - 6-1, 6-1*
4. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Magdalena Wiecha (UM) - 6-0, 6-1
5. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) led Tijana Koprivica (UM) - 6-4, 1-3 Susp.
6. Anna-Viktoria Lind (UCLA) led Jackie Sperling (UM) - 6-4, 1-2 Susp.
* Denotes Clinching Match - Order of Finish: 1, 4, 3