Huskies Sweep Aside Wolfpack In ITA Qualifying
Jan. 31, 2009
BERKELEY, Calif. - The Husky women's tennis team showed off a meaner bite than the Wolfpack of North Carolina State today, as 37th-ranked Washington improved to 4-0 on the year with a 7-0 shutout win. The match was the first qualifying round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, with the UW now advancing to face No. 2 California on Sunday for the right to advance to the final site.
Washington, off to its best start since 2005, came away with the doubles point before rolling to straight set victories in every singles match. Juniors Joyce Ardies and Aleksandra Malovic each surrendered only one game in wins at fifth and sixth singles, respectively. However, they were upstaged by 112th-ranked freshman Denise Dy, who shut out NC State's Berkeley Brock, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 2 singles.
Sophomore Venise Chan, ranked 81st in singles, picked up a big victory at No. 1 singles over 87th-ranked Lenka Hocjkova, 6-3, 6-4. It is Chan's second win of the season against a ranked opponent, and she improves to 11-2 overall.
Freshman Samantha Smith continued to build on her superlative start, as she is now 13-1 after a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Diana Mortlock at No. 4 singles. At the No. 3 spot, sophomore Lina Xu was also a winner, defeating Neils Barringer, 6-2, 7-5.
The Huskies will now look to upset the Golden Bears tomorrow at 2 p.m., with the winner heading off to Madison, Wisconsin to join fifteen other qualifiers in the National Team Indoor Championships, held Feb. 13-16. California swept Long Beach State in the earlier qualifying match.
Washington has lost just one point in three straight wins over Top-50 teams, but will have its work cut out for them against Cal, which was the NCAA runner-up last season.
Washington Women's Tennis
1/31/09 - Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
No. 37 Washington 7, No. 49 North Carolina State 0
1. (47) Chan/Dy (UW) def. Brock/Hojckova (NCST), 8-5
2. Ardies/Smith (UW) vs. Barringer/Mortlock (NCST), DNF
3. Malovic/Xu (UW) def. Petrovic/Sessoms (NCST), 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1
1. (81) Venise Chan (UW) def. (87) Lenka Hojckova (NCST), 6-3, 6-4
2. (112) Denise Dy (UW) def. Berkeley Brock (NCST), 6-0, 6-0
3. Lina Xu (UW) def. Neils Barringer (NCST), 6-2, 7-5
4. Samantha Smith (UW) def. Diana Mortlock (NCST), 6-3, 6-1
5. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Pender Sessoms (NCST), 6-0, 6-1
6. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Jackie Ussery (NCST), 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 2, 3, 1, 4
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Tue 12/12 | 5:00pm PTLive
Tue 12/12 | 7:00pm PTLive