Men's Tennis Downs Fresno State, 4-1
Jan. 31, 2009
LOS ANGELES - Forced to recover after dropping the doubles point, the fourth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team responded in a big way in singles, winning four straight matches for an eventual 4-1 victory over Fresno State on Saturday in a qualifying match for the ITA National Team Indoor Championships. With the win, UCLA (4-0) books one of the 16 spots in next month's Team Indoors, Feb. 13-16 in Chicago.
The Bruins and Bulldogs engaged in an extremely tight battle for the doubles point Saturday, as both teams took relatively easy victories to start the match. Fresno State struck first, as Taylor Leiby and Tejesvi Veerepalli took an 8-3 win over Michael Look and Nick Meister at the No. 3 spot. After the Bruins answered right back with an 8-3 win at court No. 1, the doubles point came down to court No. 2, where UCLA's Matt Brooklyn and Holden Seguso eventually went to a tiebreaker with the FSU team of Remi Boutillier/Rikus de Villiers. The Bruins had three match points in the breaker but failed to convert, as the Bulldogs stormed back to take it 10-8.
Despite the early setback, the Bruins settled down in singles, quickly taking the first set on five of six courts. Things looked even better after Amit Inbar tied the match with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Siddharth Alapati at court No. 6. UCLA then took a 3-1 lead when Harel Srugo dispatched of de Villiers, 6-2, 6-3 at court No. 3.
UCLA's next two wins came almost simultaneously, as Haythem Abid downed Rudolf Siwy, 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot, followed by the clinching win by Meister over Boutillier, 6-4, 6-2 at court No. 5.
Next up for the Bruins is a home match against San Diego State on Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.
#4 UCLA def. #40 Fresno State, 4-1
ITA National Team Indoor Qualifying
January 31, 2009 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Abid/Inbar (UCLA) def. (24) Siwy/Zapletal (FSU) - 8-4
2. Boutillier/de Villiers (FSU) def. Brooklyn/Holden Seguso (UCLA) - 9-8(8)
3. Taylor Leiby/Veerepalli (FSU) def. Look/Meister (UCLA) - 8-3
Fresno State Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. (32) Rudolf Siwy (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Mirko Zapletal (FSU) led (67) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) - 6-3, 3-2 Susp.
3. Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Rikus de Villiers (FSU) - 6-2, 6-3
4. Michael Look (UCLA) led Tejesvi Veerepalli (FSU) - 7-6(4), 4-3 Susp.
5. (78) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Remi Boutillier (FSU) - 6-4, 6-2*
6. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Siddharth Alapati (FSU) - 6-2, 6-0
* Denotes Clinching Match - Order of Finish: 6, 3, 1, 5