No. 10 USC Earns Trip to ITA National Indoor Championships
Feb. 1, 2009
The No. 10 USC Trojans beat the No. 29 Texas A&M Aggies in a second-round match-up of the ITA Kickoff qualifiers at Marks Stadium on Sunday (Feb. 1). Despite falling in a close doubles round, the Women of Troy fought back to get the win with four big singles victories. This win brings USC to 4-0 on the season and drops the Aggies to 2-1.
The Women of Troy started off well in the doubles round, with #31 Amanda Fink/Gabriela Niculescu defeating Christi Liles/Janelle Cuthbertson 8-5 out of the No. 1 slot. #53 Maria Sanchez/Alison Ramos played a tight match with Texas A&M's Stephanie Davidson/Morgan Frank, but eventually dropped the match, 5-8. Doubles was tied 1-1 and it was up to Sarah Fansler/Lyndsey Kinstler to bring the point home. The two were down most of the match, fighting back from 5-6 in the latter half of the match to tie it at 8-8 and bring about a tiebreaker. The duo fought hard, coming back to tie it up at 6-6. The Aggies, however would not go down and pulled out an 8-6 victory to take the match and get the point for Texas A&M.
In the singles round, the Women of Troy came back with a vengeance, with sophomore Leyla Entekhabi getting a commanding victory out of the No. 6 spot over Texas A&M's Stephanie Davidson, 6-0, 6-1. Freshman #36 Alison Ramos followed with another strong victory over Christi Liles of the Aggies from the No. 5 slot, 6-3, 6-1. Up next was #38 Sarah Fansler out of the No. 1 spot , who took care of her opponent, Elze Potgieter, 6-3, 6-4. Rounding out the top four finishers was #22 Maria Sanchez, who clinched the victory for USC from the No. 2 position with her win over the Aggies' Morgan Frank, 6-3, 6-4.
In the first match of the day, St. Mary's and Michigan State, the lower half of the bracket met with St. Mary's pulling out a 4-2 win to finish 1-1 on the weekend. Michigan State finished 0-2 in the tournament. Complete results are listed below.With this win the Women of Troy earn an invitation to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the University of Wisconsin, Feb. 13-16. Before making that trip however, USC will stay at Marks Stadium to host Pepperdine on Friday (Feb. 6) at 1:30 p.m.
USC 4, Texas A&M 1
(1) #31 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Liles/Cuthbertson (TAM) - 8-5
(2) Davidson/Frank (TAM) def. #53 Sanchez/Ramos (USC) - 8-5
(3) Potgieter/Olivier (TAM) def. Fansler/Kinstler (USC) - 9-8 (6)
Texas A&M wins doubles point.
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) #38 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Elze Potgieter (TAM) - 6-3, 6-4
(2) #22 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Morgan Frank (TAM) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) #16 Amada Fink (USC) vs. Lauren Santacroce (TAM) - 6-2, 6-5 Susp.
(4) #57 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) vs. Janelle Cuthbertson (TAM)- 6-2, 5-4 Susp.
(5) #36 Alison Ramos (USC) def. Christi Liles (TAM) - 6-3, 6-1
(6) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Stephanie Davidson (TAM) - 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 2
St. Mary's 4 Michigan State 2
(1) Noe/Wilson (MSU) def. Soper/Poorta (SMC) - 8-2
(2) Kebler/Lonergan (MSU) def. Strijbis/Chikhikvishvili (SMC) - 8-6
(3) Milosavljevic/Ivanova (MSU) vs. Aloia/Calvo (SMC) - Susp.
Michigan wins doubles point.
Order: 1, 2
(1) Alex Poorta (SMC) def. Stephanie Kebler (MSU) - 6-2, 0-6
(2) Anna Chikhikvishvili (SMC) def. Manon Noe (MSU) - 6-2, 6-1
(3) Claire Soper (SMC) def. Elena Ivanova (MSU) - 6-3, 6-0
(4) Sabina Gunnarsson (SMC) def. Ana Milosavljevic (MSU) - 6-3, 6-4
(5) Dana Guentert (MSU) vs. Marah Calvo (SMC) - 2-6, 4-4 Susp.
(6) Whitney Wilson (MSU) def. Molly Aloia (SMC) - 6-4, 6-3
Order: 1, 3, 2, 6, 4