UCLA Edges San Diego State, 5-2 in Men's Tennis
Feb. 4, 2009
LOS ANGELES - For the second match in a row the UCLA men's tennis team lost the doubles point but managed to rally in singles play, as the fourth-ranked Bruins recorded a 5-2 victory over San Diego State on Wednesday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
After falling in doubles against Fresno State last week, UCLA (5-0) changed its lineup at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions Wednesday. The Bruins only win, however, came at the No. 2 spot where Matt Brooklyn and Michael Look downed Tim Schulz van Endert/Juan Gomez, 8-6. The Aztecs picked up wins at the other two courts to eventually take the point.
It didn't take UCLA long to answer right back in singles, as Haythem Abid cruised over Bartosz Golas at court No. 1, winning 6-0, 6-2. Abid was up 6-0, 4-0 at one point before Golas came back to win two games late in the second set. Sophomore Amit Inbar was next to finish at court No. 6, as he downed Andre Feliz, 6-2, 6-4.
Although UCLA rallied to take a 2-1 lead in the match, all four remaining singles matches were extremely close. At the time of Inbar's victory, both Nick Meister and Harel Srugo were down a set at their respective courts, and Look was down 5-2 in the second set after winning the first set at court No. 4.
Although he lost that second set, Look would eventually give the Bruins a 3-1 lead, taking down Giovanni Vaglietti, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. The Aztecs answered right back when Achim Ceban took down Srugo, 6-3, 7-6(6) at court No. 3 to make the score 3-2 UCLA.
Only two singles matches remained at this point and San Diego State needed both to pull off the upset. With Brooklyn in a third set at court No. 2, Meister got the clincher for UCLA, as he battled back from a set down to defeat Schulz van Endert, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 at court No. 5.
In the final match of the day, Brooklyn edged Gomez, 6-3, 6-7(4), 7-6(4) to give the Bruins the 5-2 win.
Next up for UCLA is a road match against Pepperdine this Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
1. Ceban/Vaglietti (SDSU) def. Abid/Inbar (UCLA) -- 8-5
2. Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) def. Schulz van Endert/Gomez (SDSU) -- 8-6
3. Feliz/Golas (SDSU) def. Meister/Holden Seguso (UCLA) -- 8-6
SDSU Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Bartosz Golas (SDSU) -- 6-0, 6-2
2. (67) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Juan Gomez (SDSU) -- 6-3, 6-7(4), 7-6(4)
3. Achim Ceban (SDSU) def. Harel Srugo (UCLA) -- 6-3, 7-6(6)
4. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Giovanni Vaglietti (SDSU) -- 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
5. (78) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Tim Schulz van Endert (SDSU) -- 3-6, 6-4, 6-3*
6. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Andre Feliz (SDSU) -- 6-2, 6-4
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 1, 6, 4, 3, 5, 2