No. 11 Stanford Upsets No. 7 Florida In First Round Of ITA National Team Indoors
Feb. 13, 2009
CHICAGO - It came down to the wire, but the No. 11 Stanford men's team earned an upset victory over No. 7 Florida in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoors today at Midtown Tennis Club in Chicago.
The Cardinal dropped the doubles point to begin the match, but quickly rebounded to a 2-1 lead as freshman Ryan Thacher (No. 4 singles) and sophomore No. 33 Alex Clayton (No. 1 singles) both won easily, 6-2, 6-2.
he Gators surged back to take control of the match, 3-2, after winning at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, but junior No. 62 Richard Wire prevented Florida's victory, tying it at 3-3 with a three-set victory over Jeff Dadamo, 3-6, 7-6, 6-1.
The fate of both teams fell on the outcome of the match at No. 6 singles, which was tightly contested between senior Blake Muller and the Gators' Eric Corace. Muller battled back from falling 6-4 in the first set, to take the second 7-6, and with the momentum in his favor, Muller defeated Corace 6-3 in the final set to seal the victory for Stanford.
The Cardinal will now face No. 2 Texas, who defeated No. 15 Michigan today 4-0, tomorrow in the quarterfinals at 9 a.m. CT.
2009 ITA National Team Indoor Championships - First Round
Feb. 13, 2008 - Chicago, Ill.
Final Score: No. 11 Stanford 4, No. 7 Florida 3
1) Burkhardt/ Benneteau (UF) d. Wire/Muller (STAN) 9-8
2. Dadamo/Cash (UF) vs. Thacher/Bruch (STAN) aban @ 8-8
3. Lacroix/De Cueto (UF) d. Clayton/Klahn (STAN) 8-6
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1) No. 33 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. No. 87 Carlos De Cueto (UF) 6-2, 6-2
2) Alex Lacroix (UF) d. No. 16 Bradley Klahn (STAN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
3) Antoine Benneteau (UF) d. Matt Bruch (STAN) 6-2, 7-5
4) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. No. 63 Joseph Burkhardt (UF) 6-2, 6-2
5) No. 62 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Jeff Dadamo (UF) 3-6, 7-6, 6-1
6) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Eric Corace (UF) 4-6, 7-6, 6-3*
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6*
*denotes clinching point
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive