No. 6 USC Men Shut Out No. 9 Mississippi
Feb. 13, 2009
CHICAGO - The No. 6 USC men's tennis team captured a decisive win over a fellow top-10 team on Friday, dishing out a 4-0 shutout of No. 9 Mississippi in the first round of action at the ITA Men's National Indoor Championships at the Midtown Tennis Club in Chicago. Headlining the match was a solid victory in doubles, as the No. 2-ranked team of Trojans Robert Farah and Steve Johnson upset the No. 1 pair from Ole Miss with an 8-3 win. That win seemed to set the tone for the match, as USC quickly captured the doubles point and went on to clinch victory with a string of three straight-set singles wins. USC improves to 7-0 on the year with today's win.
With a doubles win from Abdullah Magdas/Daniel Nguyen added to the heroics of Farah/Johnson, USC was up 1-0 to start up singles play. There, Johnson continued his winning ways, as the #58 freshman topped Mississippi's #52 Kalle Norberg when the Ole Miss player retired from the No. 3 singles match. Jason McNaughton won out from No. 6 with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Otto Sauer to put USC within reach of the sweep, and #64 Magdas topped it off with a 6-3, 7-6 win over #89 Bram ten Berge to get the Trojans the win. Jaak Poldma, #54 Matt Kecki and #17 Farah all had their matches suspended once the Trojans clinched victory and a trip to the next round. USC's opponent will be determined after the remaining matches are complete in Chicago.
ITA National Indoor Championships (Midtown Tennis Club - Chicago, Ill.)
Feb. 13 - First Round
USC 4, Mississippi 0
(1) #2 Farah/Johnson (USC) def. #1 Berg/ ten Berge (MISS) - 8-3
(2) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) def. Britton/Sauer (MISS) - 8-1
(3) Thiemann/Vorster (MISS) vs. Kells/Poldma (USC) - 5-3, susp.
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2
(1) #28 Jonas Berg (MISS) vs. #17 Robert Farah (USC) - 7-6 (7-2), 1-1 susp.
(2) Devin Britton (MISS) vs. Jaak Poldma (USC) - 2-6, 6-3, susp.
(3) #58 Steve Johnson (USC) def. #52 Kalle Norberg (MISS) - 4-1, ret.
(4) #64 Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. #89 Bram ten Berge (MISS) - 6-3, 7-6
(5) Christoph Thiemann (MISS) vs. #54 Matt Kecki (USC) - 6-7 (3-7), susp.
(6) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Otto Sauer (MISS) - 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 6, 4
Thu 3/22 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 4:00pm PTLive
Fri 3/23 | 6:00pm PTLive