Women's tennis wins first road match
Feb. 13, 2009
Arizona defeated Texas Tech 4-3 on Friday with a key win in the final singles match by freshman Debora Castany.
Castany defeated Kerryn Potgieter 6-4, 6-7, 6-4 in the last match of the day, sealing the win for the Wildcats.
'I'm very proud of Debora for keeping her composure today. Being a freshman and the one to decide the match is a big deal, and she did a great job.' Said head coach Vicky Maes, 'She played tough and pulled out the victory for us.'
Also in singles, senior Danielle Steinberg came back from behind in the final set to defeat Samantha Van der Drift 6-1, 2-6, 7-6.
'I'm also happy with Danielle's performance tonight.' Maes said on the senior, 'She was down 3 match points in the third set, and came back to win.'
In doubles, Arizona lost the point with freshman Natasha Marks and junior Claire Rietsch falling to Kelsy Garland and Van der Drift 8-4. Junior Ariane Masschelein and sophomore Jane Huh also lost to Simone Templeton and Natalie Leitch 8-5.
Steinberg and freshman Sarah Landsman had the only doubles win, defeating Potgieter and Stefanie Peana 9-7.
On the overall match, Maes said, 'There were some great individual performances tonight, but I think that as a team, we can do a lot better.'
Up next, Arizona takes on the 69th ranked Rice University at 10 a.m. CT. in Lubbock, Texas.
1. Garland/Van der Drift TTU def. Marks/Rietsch UA 8-4
2. Steinberg/Landsman UA def. Potgieter/Peana TTU 9-7
3. Templeton/Leitch TTU def. Masschelein/Huh UA 8-5
1. Steinberg UA def. Van der Drift TTU 6-1, 2-6, 7-6
2. Garland TTU def. Masschelein UA 7-5, 6-2
3. Marks UA def. Leitch TTU 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
4. Landsman UA def. Templeton TTU 6-0, 6-0
5. Peana TTU def. Rietsch UA 6-2, 6-2
6. Castany UA def. Potgieter TTU 6-4, 6-7, 6-4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:30pm PTLive