No. 9 USC Women Defeat No. 10 Florida 4-3
Feb. 14, 2009
MADISON, WISC. - The No. 9 USC women's tennis team tallied a 4-3 win over No. 10 Florida in consolation play at the ITA Women's National Indoor Championships in Madison, Wisc., today. The Gators were short on players and forfeited a doubles match and the No. 6 singles match before closing back in during singles play. The Trojans got key singles wins at the close of the match from Alison Ramos and Amanda Fink, however, to put away the victory and improves USC's 2009 record to 5-1.
USC and Florida opened the match by splitting wins in doubles play, as USC's #31 Amanda Fink/Sarah Fansler got an 8-1 win at No. 1 to balance out a Trojan loss at No. 2. Florida's inability to field a doubles team at No. 3 granted USC the doubles point and brought up singles play.
USC took a 2-0 lead in the match with the walkover victory at No. 6 singles, but Florida closed the gap with singles wins at No. 2, No. 1 and No. 4 to pull the Gators ahead 3-2 with two singles matches still raging on. After taking losses yesterday in competition with No. 6 Georgia, USC's Alison Ramos and Amanda Fink pulled out clutch wins against No. 10 Florida. Ramos recorded a smooth 6-1, 6-2 win in her No. 5 position over Barbara Pinterova, and the Fink clinched victory for the Women of Troy with a three-setter, winning 6-0, 6-7 (3), 6-0 over Joanna Mather at the No. 3 slot.
USC will play again tomorrow in consolation play against an opponent to be determined.
CLICK HERE to reach the ITA Women's National Team Indoor Championships web page.
ITA National Team Indoor Championships
Saturday, February 14, 2009 -- Neilson Tennis Stadium, Madison, Wisc.
Consolation Round One
#9 USC 4, #10 Florida 3
(1) #31 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Mather /Boonstra (UF) - 8-1
(2) Alexander/Revzina (UF) def. #53 Sanchez/Ramos (USC) - 8-1
(3) walkover for USC
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #34 Marrit Boonstra (UF) def. #38 Sarah Fansler (USC) - 6-2, 6-4
(2) #99 Anastasia Revzina (UF) def. #22 Maria Sanchez (USC) - 7-5, 6-2
(3) #16 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Joanna Mather (UF) - 6-0, 6-7 (3), 6-0*
(4) Jessica Alexander (UF) def. #67 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) - 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
(5) #36 Alison Ramos (USC) def. Barbara Pinterova (UF) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) walkover for USC
Order of finish: 6, 2, 1, 4, 5, 3*