No. 9 USC Women Top No. 12 Clemson 4-3
Feb. 15, 2009
MADISON, WISC. - The No. 9 USC women's tennis team ended its campaign at the ITA Women's National Indoor Championships on a winning note, tcking up its second straight 4-3 win at the competitive team tournament with a singles comeback clinched by Gabriela Niculescu at the No. 4 position. USC improves to 6-1 on the year with today's win over No. 12 Clemson.
The Women of Troy responded from a rare set of three losses in doubles play with a strong effort in singles. After Maria Sanchez got a point for the Trojans at the No. 1 singles slot when her opponent retired during the first set, Amanda Fink pounded out a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 3 to make it a 2-1 USC lead in the match. Alison Ramos captured a decisive 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 5 next, and USC was up 3-1. The Tigers would get their first singles win at the No. 2 position, however, as Josipa Bek tipped Sarah Fansler 6-3, 6-4 to make it 3-2 USC. That's when Gabriela Niculescu served up a match-clinching effort out of No. 4 with a 6-4, 6-4 victory that got USC the win. The No. 6 singles match was still going at that point, and was played out with a 10-point tiebreak. Leyla Entekhabi was edged in that final set, leaving Clemson with the last point of the match to finish the score at 4-3 USC.
USC now returns home to Marks Stadium to host San Diego State on Tuesday (Feb. 24) at 1:30 p.m and Cal Poly at 12 p.m. on Sunday (March 1).
ITA National Team Indoor Championships
Sunday, February 15, 2009 -- Neilson Tennis Stadium, Madison, Wisc.
Consolation Second Round
#9 USC 4, #12 Clemson 3
(1) Mijacika/Wong (CLEM) def. Fink/Niculescu (USC) -- 8-5
(2) Bek/Hadziselimovic (CLEM) def. Sanchez/Ramos (USC) - 8-3
(3) Luc/Balda (CLEM) def. Fansler/Kinstler (USC) - 8-7 (4)
Clemson wins doubles point.
(1) Maria Sanchez (USC) def. Ani Mijacika (CLEM) - 3-1 ret.
(2) Josipa Bek (CLEM) def. Sarah Fansler (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) Amanda Fink (USC) def. Estefania Balda (CLEM) - 6-1, 6-0
(4) Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Keri Wong (CLEM) - 6-4, 6-4*
(5) Alison Ramos (USC) def. Ina Hadziselimovic (CLEM) - 6-1, 6-4
(6) Alexandra Luc (CLEM) def. Leyla Entekhabi (USC) - 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of finish: 1, 3, 5, 2, 4*, 6