No. 5 USC Takes Care of UC Irvine in a Sweep
Feb. 20, 2009
Fresh off a victory over No. 2 Texas, the No. 5 USC Trojans swept UC Irvine 7-0 on Friday afternoon at Marks Stadium to bring their overall record to 9-1. With the loss, the Anteaters fall to 0-5 on the season. The Trojans were led by #58 Steven Johnson who won both his doubles match with Robert Farah and also made quick work of his opponent in the singles match to lead the Trojans in the sweep.
In doubles No. 3 Kells/Poldma had the Trojans off to a rough start, losing to Henderson/Vaidyanathan 8-1. USC would come back strong, with #2 Farah/Johnson beating Wes Miller/Khunpol Issara 8-4 out of the No. 1 slot. Earning the Trojans the doubles point was No. 2 Magdas/Nguyen who finished off UC Irvine's Kazarian/Tsai 8-4.
USC took a 1-0 lead into singles play, with No. 3 Steven Johnson making quick work of his opponent Zac Gould 6-2, 6-0. Finishing up next was #7 Robert Farah who defeated Wes Miller 6-1 with a strong first set and then a close second set 7-6(1) from the No. 1 slot. Rounding out the top three finishers and securing the victory for the Trojans was No. 5 Jason McNaughton who defeated Stephen Stege 6-2, 6-1. Following next was No. 2 Abdullah Magdas who lost the first set 4-6 to UC Irvine's Steven Henderson, but came back to win the second 6-5(6) and the tiebreaker 11-9. Daniel Nguyen had a close first set, but ended up with the win 7-6(4) and then finished strong with a 6-3 second set over Khunpol Issara out of the No. 6 spot. Rounding out the sweep was freshman No. 4 Matt Kecki who defeated Fabian Matthews in a close match, winning the first set 7-5, dropping the second 5-7 but getting the tiebreaker to secure the win, (10-5).
Next up for the Trojans is their first Pac-10 match of the season, against No.7 ranked Stanford on Friday, February 27 at 1:30 pm at Marks Stadium.
#5 USC 7, UCI 0
(1) Farah/Johnson (USC) def. Miller/Issara (UCI) 8-4
(2) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) def. Kazarian/Tsai (UCI) - 8-4
(3) Henderson/Vaidyant (UCI) def. Kells/Poldma (USC) - 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) Robert Farah (USC) def. Wes Miller (UCI) - 6-1, 7-6(1)
(2) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Steven Henderson (UCI) - 4-6, 7-5, (11-9)
(3) Steven Johnson (USC) def. Sam Gould (UCI) - 6-2, 6-0
(4) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Fabian Matthews (UCI) - 7-5, 5-7 (10-5)
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Stephen Stege (UCI) - 6-2, 6-1
(6) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Khunpol Issara (UCI) - 7-6(4), 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5*,2, 6, 4
USC wins 7-0
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 5/25 | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive