No. 7 Stanford Drops No. 23 California 5-2
Feb. 21, 2009
BERKELEY, Calif. - The No.7 Stanford men's tennis team improved to 8-1 today with its second win of the weekend, dispatching No. 23 California in Berkeley this afternoon.
The doubles point, won by the Golden Bears, came down to the third match, as senior Matt Bruch and freshman Ryan Thacher picked up a win at the No. 2 position after the Cardinal surrendered the No. 3 match, but were unable to take the point with a loss in the top spot.
The Cardinal charged back in singles, taking five of the six battles to ultimately win the match. Cal's Pedro Zerbini forced No. 13 freshman Alex Clayton into three sets after winning the first 7-6(5), but Clayton came back strong with two set victories, 6-4, 6-2 to earn the point. Senior Matt Bruch also fought back from a first-set loss to defeat Eoin Heavey 2-6, 7-6(5), 6-2 in the No. 4 spot. No. 117 sophomore Richard Wire was credited with the clinching point, as he downed the Golden Bears' Nick Andrews in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 at No. 5 singles.
Stanford will have a short break before next competing on Tuesday, Feb. 24 against Saint Mary's at 1:30 p.m. at home. The match was originally scheduled to be played on Jan. 23, but was moved when rain left the courts unplayable. Following the match against the Gaels, the Cardinal will travel to take on highly-ranked USC and UCLA in Los Angeles in non-conference matchups.
Feb. 21, 2009 - Berkeley, CA
No. 7 Stanford 5, No. 23 California 2
1) No. 24 Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) d. No. 28 Muller/Wire (STAN) 9-7
2) Bruch/Thacher (STAN) d. Dahan/Heavey (CAL) 8-6
3) Katsarov/Stewart (CAL) d. Kelly/Klahn (STAN) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1) No. 13 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2
2) No. 27 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 88 Kallin Stewart (CAL) 6-3, 6-4
3) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-2, 6-3
4) Matt Bruch (STAN) d. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 2-6, 7-6(5), 6-2
5) No. 117 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Nick Andrews (CAL) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
6) Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) d. Blake Muller (STAN) 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 6, 2, 4, 5*, 1