Cats fall to Ducks in Pac-10 Opener
Feb. 27, 2009
Unable to hold onto a 1-0 lead going into singles play, the Arizona (5-3, 0-1 Pac 10) fell to No. 45 Oregon (7-3, 2-0 Pac 10) Friday 4-3.
'We got a great start by winning the doubles point. That was important for us, as we had struggled with doubles in the last 4 matches,' Said head coach Vicky Maes, 'However, we completely let each other down in singles. We had plenty of opportunities yet no one really stepped up to close the match. We are disappointed because we know we let a big win pass us by today. We will need to rebound in a big way if we want to do well next weekend.'
Also in doubles, senior Danielle Steinberg and freshman Sarah Landsman defeated Carmen Seremeta and Tridue Tu Toit 8-5 to clinch the doubles point for the Wildcats for the first time since the unfinished match against Arizona State.
In singles, freshman Sarah Landsman won her first set, and then came back after going scoreless in the second set to defeat Ana Cecilla Olivos 6-4, 0-6, 7-5 in the No. 3 spot. In the No. 4 spot, junior Ariane Masschelein defeated Madelie Janse van Rensburg 6-7, 6-3, 6-0.
Up next, the Wildcats return home to take on Washington State and Washington on Friday, March 6 and Saturday, March 7 respectively. The match against Washington State will start at 1:30 p.m., and the match against Washington will start at noon. Both games will be played at the Lanelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Smatova/Olivos UO def. Marks/Rietsch UA 8-4
2. Steinberg/Landsman UA def. Seremeta/du Toit 8-5
3. Masschelein/Huh UA def. Mcfarlane/Janse van Rensburg 8-2
1. Seremeta UO def. Steinberg UA 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
2. Smatova UO def. Marks UA 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
3. Landsman UA def. Olivos UO 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
4. Masschelein UA def. Janse van Rensburg UO 6-7, 6-3, 6-0
5. Macfarlane UO def. Huh UA 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
6. Cavan UO def. Castany UA 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
TOMORROW | 2:30pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive