Chan And Dy Beat Bears Again But UW Falls
Feb. 27, 2009
BERKELEY, Calif. - Sophomore Venise Chan and freshman Denise Dy continue to wreak havoc on the California women's tennis team, but the third-ranked Bears possessed too much depth once again and beat the 38th-ranked Huskies, 5-2, for the second time this season. Washington falls to 7-3 on the year and 0-1 in Pac-10 play, while Cal improved to 6-1 and 1-0.
Just four weeks ago, Cal beat the Huskies, 5-2, as part of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, but UW's top two women each scored big singles wins. Today, both Chan and Dy were matched up against different opponents, but the results were the same. At No. 1 singles, Chan upended 16th-ranked freshman Jana Juricova, 6-4, 6-3 for her highest-ranked win of the season thus far. Chan is now 3-0 in dual matches against Cal, which reached the NCAA Finals last year.
Dy upset a Top-40 opponent of her own, as she hammered 32nd-ranked Claire Ilcinkas, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 2 singles. In the prior meeting, Dy upset 13th-ranked Marina Cossou, who did not play in today's match-up.
Washington also pushed the fifth and sixth matches to three sets, and could have scored the upset if each had turned their way. Cal's Marion Ravelojaona defeated junior Joyce Ardies at No. 5 singles, 6-4, 5-7, 6-3 to clinch the win for the Bears. After that, junior Aleksandra Malovic fell to Stephany Chang at No. 6 by a 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 count.
Ranked Cal players defeated both Lina Xu at No. 3 singles and Samantha Smith at No. 4 singles to give Cal an early 3-0 lead before Chan and Dy won to close the gap. The Bears swept the doubles point to open the match.
The Huskies will try to regroup and pull the upset at 11th-ranked Stanford tomorrow at 12 p.m. in Palo Alto.
Washington Women's Tennis
2/27/09 - Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Center
No. 3 California 5, No. 38 Washington 2
1. Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. (28) Chan/Dy (UW) 8-4
2. Bobusic/Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Ardies/Smith (UW) 8-1
3. Chang/Ravelojaona (CAL) def. Malovic/Xu (UW) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3
1. (53) Venise Chan (UW) def. (16) Jana Juricova (CAL) 6-4, 6-3
2. (61) Denise Dy (UW) def. (32) Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) 6-3, 6-2
3. (110) Mari Andersson (CAL) def. Lina Xu (UW) 6-0, 6-2
4. (27) Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. Samantha Smith (UW) 6-2, 6-1
5. Marion Ravelojaona (CAL) def. Joyce Ardies (UW) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
6. Stephany Chang (CAL) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5*, 6