Men's Tennis Topples No. 18 Michigan, 4-2
Feb. 27, 2009
MALIBU, Calif. - The Husky men's tennis team got a much sought-after win over a Top-20 opponent today, upsetting 18th-ranked Michigan, 4-2, in a neutral match played at Pepperdine's Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. Washington (8-3) lost the doubles point but then stormed back to win in singles.
Trailing 2-1, the Huskies won the next three singles matches to take down the Wolverines. Sophomore Martin Kildahl clinched the match with a come-from-behind 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles against Mike Scroczynski. Kildahl's 9-2 dual singles record is second only to Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan for the team lead.
31st-ranked Nedunchezhiyan improved to 10-1 in dual matches with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles over 109th-ranked Jason Jung. Nedunchezhiyan has now beaten five ranked players in his past six matches. Also scoring a win over a ranked foe was senior Patrik Fischer at second singles. Fischer pulled out a 6-4, 7-6 (3) win over 100th-ranked Andrew Mazlin.
Senior Ryo Sekiguchi got the Huskies on the board with a 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 5 singles over Drew Daniel. Sekiguchi is 2-0 since returning to the lineup last Sunday. UW's third senior, David Chu, had hung on to force a third set at No. 4 singles after dropping the first, but the match was suspended once Washington clinched the win.
'I was very proud of the way our guys hung in there after losing the doubles,' said head coach Matt Anger. 'Martin and David as well both came out on top in very tough second sets.'
Washington was swept in doubles for just the second time this season. This was the second time that UW came back to win after dropping the doubles point.
Things only get tougher for the Dawgs as they face 15th-ranked Pepperdine on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Washington Men's Tennis
February 27, 2009 - Malibu, Calif.
No. 41 Washington 4, No. 18 Michigan 2
1. Navas/Jung (UM) def. Nedunchezhiyan/Kildahl (WASH), 8-6
2. Mazlin/Madden (UM) def. Derek Drabble/Fischer (WASH), 9-8
3. Daniel/Scroczynski (UM) def. Tobi Obenaus/Bator (WASH), 8-3
1. (31) Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (WASH) def. (109) Jason Jung (UM), 6-3, 6-4
2. Patrik Fischer (WASH) def. (100) Andrew Mazlin (UM), 6-4, 7-6 (3)
3. Martin Kildahl (WASH) def. Mike Scroczynski (UM), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3*
4. David Chu (WASH) vs. Chris Madden (UM), 2-6, 7-6 (4), DNF
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (WASH) def. Drew Daniel (UM), 6-3, 6-3
6. George Navas (UM) def. Brad Bator (WASH), 6-2, 6-4
* Clinched match
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive